Tuesday, May 18, 2004

100 Things About Me
Dan and Angi posted their lists, so I was inspired to post mine. It was written last year. I hope each of you will send me your list!

1. From 1976-1983 it was my every intention to become a famous French horn soloist, traveling from town to town playing horn concertos with the symphonies.
2. My second choice was principal hornist with the Chicago symphony.
3. My first date was to see Madame Butterfly with Buzz. (Our parents weren't sure where they went wrong.)
4. I have lived in Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas and Oklahoma.
5. I played basketball from 6th through 9th grade.
6. I can make a delicious lime cheesecake with a raspberry coulis, but I cannot fry chicken. I am fascinated by home cooking.
7. My middle name at birth was "Lynne," after my father's old girlfriend.
8. I never had a curfew because I was always home before my parents.
9. I cried almost every night my junior and senior year in highschool because of my homework assignments in advanced mathematics (a two-year program with a really tough teacher).
10. I spent a summer at Interlochen studying music. 10 minutes before auditions I changed my mind about what I would play, and I bombed the audition.
11. I auditioned for the Oklahoma City symphony in 1992. I bombed. Couldn't even breath. I just wanted it too much.
12. When I was in grade school, my friend Stephie and I looked for geods in the fields near our houses (in Iowa). We also picked blackberries from the trees that lined our schoolyard. We ate buckets of them.
13. My dad worked for Anchor Hocking (which makes glassware), Kleenex Corporation, Koehring (backhoes, trenchers and drilling rigs) and Dopplemayr (Quad Ski Lifts and Gondolas). Our family has hundreds of photographs of heavy equipment and ski lifts.
14. Most of my family are corn farmers in northern Indiana.
15. I went to law school in hopes of combining my Hotel & Restaurant Administration degree and Law degree to be an in-house attorney for Sonic, in charge of franchising agreements.
16. I was a registered lobbyist for the state of Oklahoma.
17. I was president of the youth group for the First United Methodist Church in Enid, Oklahoma.
18. One time my friend Meg and I wanted to play a French horn duet for the school's talent show, but we knew it would be boring. To remedy this problem, she dressed as a pumpkin and I dressed as a tomato. The audience did not laugh, but Meg and I laughed all the way through.
19. Rachmaninoff piano concertos move me to tears every time.
20. I was the first female band president at Enid High School, and the first ever woman to crown the band queen (my friend, Angi Anderson). We were in the paper.
21. I taught myself to play bassoon.
22. I am married to James because of a how-to-find-a-husband book Jeanne gave me.
23. I thought I might hate being a mother, but I love being a mother.
24. I have too much stuff.
25. Before I got married, I preferred to hang out with the guys. Now I prefer the women.
26. Fletcher Ownbey led me to Christ.
27. I think brass players are the most fun of all musicians.
28. If you play with my hair in just the right way, I will be your servant.
29. I do not like the telephone.
30. I don't answer the door for strangers.
31. I prefer not to show my knees or elbows.
32. I love snow.
33. When I lived in Iowa and Wisconsin, some of my friends had ice skating rinks in their backyards. One friend lived on a farm near a frozen pond. We also went skating at city parks outside. I miss that.
34. I love wordplay.
35. I have romantic notions about patriotic parades and picnics on July 4th.
36. I love a clean and organized house. Maybe I'll have one someday.
37. My first boyfriend, Buzz, got me my first job at Katy's Pantry in Enid. I made pastries, sandwiches and salads. Only 5 or 6 people worked there.
38. I performed on stage in Camelot and The Music Man at the Gaslight Theatre in Enid.
39. In 1976 I ate a pound of white chocolate and can't even think about it to this day without feeling ill.
40. I have been to dance clubs where people dance in cages.
41. My first car was a red-orange Volkswagen Superbeetle.
42. My parents were divorced when I was in 7th grade. First I lived with my mother and then later with my dad.
43. I went to school at OU, OSU and Phillips University.
44. I was in the Pride of Oklahoma marching band at OU.
45. I worked for a caterer on Lower Greenville in Dallas. We made business lunches for delivery to the boardrooms of Dallas. The caterer was called "Nooners."
46. Buzz died at the age of 29 of liver failure. He always said he never wanted to be 30.
47. All of my boyfriends' parents loved me way more than my boyfriends did.
48. I have a thing for light fixtures and hardware.
49. I believe I would not have lived to be 39 were I born before air conditioning.
50. I have no thyroid.
51. I am painfully modest (physically).
52. My mother used to say I can't flirt.
53. I have trouble concentrating on conversations when other people are present.
54. When I'm home alone, it is very, very quiet.
55. I love to be on a boat.
56. I once went to a student conference on international affairs as a representative from OSU for one week at West Point Academy in New York.
57. I love taking photographs.
58. I was at the site of the Oklahoma City bombing two hours after.
59. I think I have a lot of exceptional women friends.
60. When we started a student newsletter for the Hotel & Restaurant School, we had a contest to name the letter. The OSU student paper was named The O'Collegian, so I proposed The O'Collander. I won!
61. James and I have never missed an episode of Survivor or Lost.
62. I love estate sales and auctions.
63. I was exceptionally rotten at dating.
64. I sold shoes for 7 years at Pappagallo.
65. I paid for 3 ½ years of college and 3 years of law school.
66. All of my favorite instruments play in the same range: French horn, bassoon, cello and trombone.
67. I like to see drum and bugle corps competitions.
68. I always appreciate good food presentation and good gift wrapping.
69. In 8th grade I earned a Tumbling letter for Emerson Junior High. I did things I never did before or since. I wanted that letter because my mother always teased me about my lack of flexibility.
70. In 1986 I made a plan to go to Washington, D.C., to work a few years before attending law school there and eventually become a lobbyist for the National Restaurant Association. After packing up and saying goodbye to friends and family (I was excited, not scared), I woke up 4 hours before departure and realized I couldn't go.
71. I was in Oregon with the Enid High School Band in 1980 when Mt. St. Helens erupted. The ash storm was so thick, Mark and I couldn't find our bus. Turns out the bus had left without us.
72. I love developing forms. I also enjoy completing forms.
73. We lived across the street from a bird sanctuary in Enid. I used to go there and sit in a tree just to be alone and relax.
74. I'm easily moved to tears when others show even the slightest emotion. I used to ask God to remove that trait from me. It embarrasses me.
75. An older lady at church that I don't know approached me last year and told me that I had a gift from God of empathy and emotion and that I could use that gift for intercessory prayer. Now, when others are hurting, I cry freely and open myself up to God, imagining I am crying for the other person.
76. I had a tan in 1982 and 1986 and now.
77. I love the beach. I always play in the water more than I sit on the beach.
78. I like the kind of friends with whom you can be comfortably silent at times.
79. I have felt like a 35-year-old woman for about 24 years now. Its nice to finally have friends my own age.
80. In the summer of 1986, I took an intensive French class, which met for 8 hours every day for 2 months and required about 2 hours of homework every day.
81. I have trouble not buying old glassware and bowls.
82. I don't like to talk on the phone if anyone else is in the room.
83. I lived alone for 8 years.
84. I am a sorority girl.
85. Most of my friends in college did drugs. I was the token nice girl.
86. I evaluate appellate judges for a living.
87. Reading cases every day for 7 years has increased my paranoia. It is amazing how many things have gone wrong!
88. Starting when I was in 1st grade, I got up on Sunday mornings, put on a dress and went to the church down the block all by myself.
89. My mother flat-lined while delivering me. (She was revived.)
90. My brother was hit by a car when he was in kindergarten and he was in a coma for a week. I saw him on the pavement, but they (the hospital staff) didn't let me see him at the hospital.
91. I grew up thinking sarcasm was funny. Now I don't think so, but it's a struggle for me to change.
92. I don't believe "older" necessarily goes with "wiser."
93. I used to practice my penmenship by tracing other people's handwriting.
94. I expect younger people to give up their seats for adults.
95. When I was in 3rd grade, I heard my mother's friend say she was addicted to coffee. I decided I never wanted to be addicted to anything, so I never drank coffee. I wish they had told me about Coca-Cola.
96. I never changed a diaper before Colin's first diaper.
97. I learned to whistle in college because my French horn professor told me I had to.
98. I like to make lists and sort them on the computer, but Word only sorts the first letter of the first word. I miss WordPerfect.
99. I have smoked one cigarette in my life. It was hand-rolled.
100. I have never been drunk, but I got tipsy at Mike's Christmas brunch.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you write like a writter, my name is Janna, but i stubled across your blog/site thing only accidentally, i have a site of my own entittled jans_site...

2:52 PM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Joelle said...

Oh my goodness you're amusing for a sorority girl/lobbyist. ;) Loved reading the 100 things about you. Would you mind if I put you on my list of blogs?

5:34 PM, July 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your former Aunt Sharon (Trent's mom) is reading your blog and enjoying getting to know you through it after all these years! I can tell that you are a wonderful young lady with a talent for writing. I'm glad to have a chance to "look in on you again!"
:)

10:47 PM, March 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi just happened on your blog and really enjoyed it. I love your 101 things about you especially your awkwardness I thought I was the only one who couldn't flirt! I am 25 and stay home with 2 little ones and am trying to learn about blogs. yours was fun.

9:29 PM, September 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just too uncanny - I'm getting to know you through your blog and finding more and more commonalities. I KNOW Fletcher Ownbey - he's our Lamar Rep! My husband's business partner used to be with Sonic years ago. I've lived in Iowa and Wisconsin. Love the pies at Katy's Pantry! YUM. My first car was an Orange clunker of a VW Bug. My husband is a graphic designer who loves making forms and married me - the girl who loves filling them out. I was a French major in college. I have also never been drunk.

8:19 AM, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Beth said...

Hi Jan...stumbled on your blog via a comment you left on 'stuff christians like' and really enjoy your writing and your perspective on life. You are a fascinating individual, at least according to these 100 things....

I'll be back!

7:03 PM, June 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->