Monday, September 20, 2004

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights?
Several casual conversations over the past week have gotten me thinking about the importance of education, no matter what the ultimate use of such education may be. It is rare, but I occassionally hear a woman say something to the effect that her education was wasted because she now "just" stays home with her children. I couldn't disagree more.

I have many friends who stay home with their children, among whom there are microbiologists, attorneys, accountants, and doctors. These women are some of the best mothers I know. They teach their children to love learning. The go on family field trips that are entertaining and educational. They model confidence and intelligence, which will serve their children well in more ways than one. First of all, the children feel a certain measure of safety knowing their mothers can handle a wide variety of situations and, secondly, the children take on some of that confidence themselves.

The influence on the educated parent's children is not the only positive aspect of a learned adult population. Higher education strengthens the fabric of a nation. We make better decisions at the polls and on committees. We grow better crops. We make better products. We produce better leaders. We rear better children. No amount of education is wasted simply because the educated person does not engage in industry for profit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyndal said...

Jan, I loved this post and I really needed to hear it today! I couldn't have put it better myself. I had a baby shortly after law school and decided to stay home with Cole rather than enter the workforce. You should've seen some of the looks I got. ;) Next time, I'll just refer them to your blog.

2:32 PM, September 21, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->