Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Yeah, I know I haven't posted anything of substance lately. I've been planning for a long time to change how I spend my days after the retreat was finished. I've made a resolution not to commit to anything new in 2006 (which has already been put to the test!) and spend more time on my home and family. I'm starting with my home. I've been moving around the house doing one small job at a time, trying to become a minimalist. Being a minimalist has always been a dream of mine, but my disposition is at odds with that. As you well know, I'm a bit sentimental. I LIKE having a scrapbook with old Valentines, my great grandmother's quilt, my grandmother's charm bracelet and letters my uncle sent from the Viet Nam war. It is difficult to throw away a photograph, even if I don't know the people in it!

I'm also kind of frugal. . . but just about some things. For instance, I save ribbons and gift bags and tissue paper. It is all nicely organized (each category has its own drawer in the guest room), but I'm quite sure I have more than I'll ever need! I also have coupons all over my desk. . . but I never have them with me when I need them, so I end up throwing them away anyway!

So, I'm trying to reform. James has agreed to remove items from the house ASAP when I pull them out to donate or throw away. Having them disappear immediately keeps me motivated and prevents second thoughts! I think he has taken 7 loads in the last three weeks. Today I made the biggest load yet! We've purged about 100 books and a whole buncha pillows, tablecloths and toys!!! WOO HOO!!!

I've been running my shredder as I clear out my file cabinets and filling my trash can with bits and pieces of life that have really just been getting in the way. I've been keeping up with my laundry and dishes and clearing off my desk. I've been wandering the halls of my school and church delivering books, toys and art supplies.

And, hence, I have not been blogging.

I'll be busy for a few more weeks. I'm not even half way done, after all!! But, I already feel like a new woman.

4 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Send me an e-mail when you get finished.

You can start with the 'fridge.

Thanks.

10:43 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Muley said...

You're my hero! I wanted to do the same thing you're actually doing, but I ran out of steam early on. Your story has motivated me to get going again with the "decluttering" mission.

9:54 AM, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Jan said...

Muley - maybe you'll get than "new woman" feeling, too!

t.j. - dream on.

11:04 AM, February 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's your secret to getting motivated? I've been wanting to declutter, but just get overwhelmed and can't start.

3:39 PM, February 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->