Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving was nice and slow. We Had James' ham and cheese omelettes for breakfast and then a really big lunch at 1:00. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, shrimp, whipped sweet potatoes, cornbread dressing, crab dip, rolls, cranberries, pumpkin bread (wait, nobody ate the pumpkin bread!), Hello Dollies, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream from a can. I never bought whipped cream in a can before, but it was fun to use. Each slice of pie was delivered with a Very Tall Mountain of Whipped Cream. Spencer needed more, so I sprayed it directly in his mouth which made two little boys laugh hysterically for at least 30 minutes. Colin kept saying, "Mommy! I can't believe you would do such a thing!"

After lunch we sat around the table and read the leaves of thankfulness from Thanksgivings past. We started the tradition in 2003. Each person in attendance writes three things for which they are thankful on a little paper leaf. We tie them on a tree and save them from year to year. It was fun remembering our guests from each year and especially fun to see how the boys' messages have changed.

We also talked about all the stuff in our house that belonged to great great grandparents. This house if FULL of stories. Then we showed the boys pictures of them and gave them silly multiple choice quizzes to see if they remembered what we had told them.

After that we bundled up and watched Santa Claus (the movie) and went to sleep early.

I'm fully aware that these are the days. I do wish we had more family nearby to share it all with, but I trust we're making happy memories for Colin and Spencer anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan, I'm so glad you stopped by my blog! I'd love to be Blog Friends with you - especially since we live so close and have so many more things in common! I'm eager to get to know you more. I was reading your profile - I almost played French horn in junior high! My in-laws live in Enid, and by the looks of it, we have very similar taste in music.

8:09 AM, November 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->