Thursday, February 26, 2004

BSF
BSF is an in-depth interdemoninational Bible study. It meets once a week during the school year and offers a study for children age 2 and up. Before you can be placed in a class, you must attend the orientation meeting, which is usually the first week of each month. An invitation is NOT required.

Those are the basics about BSF. Now let me tell you what I really think about it. It is the absolute best thing I have EVER done! The full study is 7 years long. I just started last fall. This year's topic is Israel and the Minor Prophets. It has made the Old Testament come alive for me. The history is so rich and God's character is woven throughout. The lessons are difficult, but I can't wait to do them. The classes are so structured there is never a doubt when they will begin or when they well end. I think one thing that makes the study so effective is the fourfold approach to learning. First you read the assigned Bible passages and answer a set of questions that cause you to really dig in and even look elsewhere. Then you meet with a small group to share and compare answers and insights. Next you listen to a lecture about the lesson. Finally you receive a written outline of the lesson with detailed answers to the questions. We use maps, but no Bible commentaries, to answer questions.

My children have learned the same lessons I learn, but on their level. Every child (even two-year-olds) learns to spend 10 minutes in quiet time with God. I have helped once in the children's program and have seen these children pray to God for 10 minutes. It is incredible! And then to hear the boys discussing their lesson with each other just makes me beam!!

In other words....I highly recommend it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->