Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Comfort Food
When I was 14 I got my first job. My friend Buzz worked at Katy's Pantry and recommended me when they needed more help. It was a small shop in a strip mall on the right side of the tracks. I think there were 5 employees plus Katy. We made crepes, reubens, grilled cheese, spinach salad and other lunch entrees. Katy's mother made bread every day and brought it to us. But, we were most famous for our giant and lighter-than-air cinnamon rolls, Mississippi Mud, pecan dreams, cake brownies, cream pies and tall cakes. Buzz schmoozed with the older rich women and I hid back in the kitchen preferring the hard labor to romancing the clientele. It was a great job and I loved my boss, Katy. She was beautiful and had a classic look about her that I truly admired. I hung on her every word. We even laugh now that I remember her telling her daughter that her key chain had too many keys on it. It was just, "tacky." (Katy doesn't believe she ever said such a thing! But you can bet I went home and cleaned up my key chain!)

Anyway, Katy has opened a new restaurant in Tulsa that you must visit. It is called Kate's on 41st and, predictably, it is on 41st, just off Highway 44, near Promenade Mall. I recommend you stay and eat because the decor is beautiful. But, if you can't stay, you can still buy dinner to heat up at home. I always get the chicken tetrazinni and a loaf of bread. (The bread is incredible!) You can choose your favorite dessert. Coconut cream pie, sugar cookies, German chocolate cake....you can't go wrong. When you go, say hi to Katy for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->