Thursday, June 24, 2004

Girlfriends
I've often heard the sage advice of experienced women to young newly-married women: "Get yourself some good girlfriends." This is excellent advice for so many reasons. For one thing, having close male friends is not a good idea once you are married. And for another thing, girls "get" girls. For instance, after church a few weeks ago, I was talking to a young couple and the woman was wiping her eyes. She told me she cried all the way through worship and I said, "Yeah, me too." Her husband looked on in amazement and said, "That is one thing that is so cool about girls. They announce they've been crying and the other girls just say, 'Oh, yeah, I know.' Its no big deal, its just how things are." He's right. We can usually tell which tears are serious and which are sentimental. We understand the inablity to control the outpouring of emotion.

Today was a rough day for me. It was nobody's doing, I was just a 5-star grump. I needed to go home and have a good cry. Maybe some mashed potatoes or macaroni or chocolate or something. Maybe a tear-jerk movie. But I had work to do, so I was stewing in my grumpiness just trying to make it through the day. That's when my unsuspecting friend happened by. She sat down to make idle chit chat and I emptied out my soul to her. I told her I was grumpy. I told her why. And I felt better. The best part is, I could pour out my soul because I trust her completely. Don't you love -just love- having trust in someone? This poor friend of mine is a loyal reader of this blog, and I want to be sure she knows how dear she is to me. Thank you, S.

I still came home and had a small pity party for myself. I got the good cry out of me. I ate a little macaroni. I'm all fixed up. Thanks be to God for girlfriends (and macaroni).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->