Sunday, November 07, 2004

Millions Matter
I just found a group (the American Family Association) which aims to unify parents against trash in the media. It seems the main thing they do is coordinate efforts to contact advertisers and ask them to end support of questionable shows. I'm sure there is much more to it than that, but that alone is enough for me. I have written many letters expressing my disgust with things I see on television, but I never know if they are getting to the right people. Its kind of a shot in the dark. With the AFA, the research is done and you just choose whether to participate, one campaign at a time. The group has several websites, but the two I looked at are One Million Moms and One Million Dads. Here's a quote from the website:
"When viewers complained to ABC about [the show What Is Sexy?], the network flippantly responded: "This special was approved by our Broadcast Standards and Practices department." In other words -- "Get lost, we don't care how you feel or what you think. Our business is to make money." The networks and sponsors don't care what their programming is doing to our children. The only thing they care about is making money. Here is what Michael Eisner, CEO of Disney (which owns ABC), had to say about respecting children: "We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only obligation.""

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eisner is a repellant toad! Walt Disney wanted to create art and the Disney Company basically created the sophisticated art of animation. The method the Disney animators created is the bible of the current animation industry today either CGI or traditional hand drawn. Walt valued family and wanted to create family entertainment. There is now an effort to take control of Disney led by Roy Disney and many people in the animation industry are rallying. I don't know if they'll ever be able to remove Eisner though, he does know how to make money. Unfortunately, he has no idea what art, family values, or traditions are. It is yet another example of corporate greed and lust for money.
Since that topic is one that makes me absolutely crazy I'll end it right now.

There's a possibility that the company I work for may sign a contract with Disney to make animated television shows. Since I have no respect for the Disney company I am wary.
cheryl

9:09 AM, November 08, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->