Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Submission
This past month I’ve been keeping up with a few bloggers who are doing a weekly review of the book, Created to Be His Help Meet, by Debi Pearl. Submission has long been a problem for me (for about 10 years now), and it is clearly something God wants me to learn. I have sought counsel on the subject from several wise friends and have improved due to their advice, but I still have a long way to go.

The best advice I have received is remember that the submission is really to Christ, not just to my husband. My husband may not always deserve my submission, but Christ does, and Christ is the one who requires it. I have learned that submission is not a loss of power, but a service to the kingdom. I am God’s daughter, and God has a legacy of service. It is my privilege to continue that legacy. (To that end, I sometimes wear a tiara when I don’t really feel like serving. It reminds me of the legacy and the crown I will inherit one day). (Plus, it reminds my family to treat me like a queen. *wink*).

The lessons these fellow bloggers have shared have been a true inspiration to me and a lovely weekly reminder of my goal. Combining that with the God’s word and a lot of prayer, I feel as if I am finally on the right track. Surprisingly, I’m happier for it.

Here’s a little excerpt from Molly’s latest review:

“What if the body just starts functioning properly? What if the body stops rebelling and starts receiving from the head, lovingly seeking to help the head's vision become realized, warmly seeking to express her earthly head simply out of love for her spiritual Head? What if she finds her place in her Beloved--her heavenly Bridegroom (see Song of Solomon for a beautiful picture of Him--*romantic sigh*)--and then seeks to bring Him expression on earth? And what if He's shared (Ephesians 5) that He would love for her to express Him in her marriage--for her to seek to bless her husband as she seeks to bless Him?

What if this isn't all about me and my needs, my rights, my wants? What if it's not about my husband's, either? What if this is all about expressing and glorifying Someone much bigger than both of us?”

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you really want to take marriage advice from a couple that thinks a man guilty of incest should be welcomed back by his wife and the mother of the children he's molested?

Check out the advice given here:
http://www3.nogreaterjoy.org/newpage21.htm

After being confronted for sexually abusing the children, if your husband does not repent in sackcloth and ashes, to never do it again, turn him over to the authorities. Testify against him, and when he gets three to twenty years in the pen, go to visit him and faithfully wait for him to get out."


And this is acceptable? Forsaking your abused children and "welcoming home" the abuser? Only to give him opportunity to abuse again?


I'm ashamed that Christian sisters are so willing to listen to any teacher, even when they show they are not credible.

9:55 PM, April 30, 2005  
Blogger Jan said...

Anonymous,
My "marriage advice" comes from the Bible, which requires submission. I believe the Bible is wholly credible.

All other advice is imperfect, and the advice givers are all sinners. I am aware of that, but feel I can still find practical nuggets of advice from others. In the same way, I fellowship with other church members even though they are imperfect. It is important for me to stay in the Word so I can discern what is good and true and what is wrong. I don't believe anything in the text I quoted is wrong. If you disagree, please let me know.

Thank you for the heads up about the sexual abuse issue.

10:25 PM, April 30, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the book she writes:

If your husband ever sexually handles your children, call the authorities. Testify against him in court, and pray that he gets at least twenty years in prison so that the children will be grown when he gets out. Visit him there, and be and encouragement to him. page 174

I don't think she's advocating forsaking the abused children, but merely discussing how to deal with your husband in this instance.

9:22 PM, May 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->