Saturday, May 28, 2005

Inspired
I went to the Paseo Arts Festival today. The bad news is I never found Britt or his sister. The good news is that it is a great little festival. In fact, I liked the smaller size of it. Most of the art was new and fresh - stuff I hadn't seen before at an art festival, that is. They had belly dancers, musicians and some children performing some kind of strange slow motion dance (kinda creepy, actually). Although I didn't purchase any food, I enjoyed the fairway smells of lemonade, Indian tacos, corn dogs and funnel cakes. Of course, the Paseo district is such a nice little street of shops and it seemed all the better filled up with people. The sidewalk cafe's were full and people were streaming in and out of the small restaurants and shops. The weather was perfect.

The first booth I came to had jewelry and barrettes made with millefiori, one of my favorite mediums. I purchased a turquoise glass barrette with about 20 little colorful flowers inside. I love it. After seeing her booth, I started remembering how much I love millefiori and the little glass millefiori paperweights my grandmother used to have. I am not a collector, but if I were to collect, I could go crazy on glass sphere paperweights!

One summer I went to visit a friend in Chicago for a week and spent an entire day at the art museum. I was delighted to see that they had a large collection of millefiori on display at that time...I believe in the basement. I looked for quite a long time, smiling all the while. Something about it just speaks to me. Of course, I've always loved glass and I like flowers... and color. They just all came together that day in one little room in my favorite city.

So, I came home today and searched for paperweights to share with you. There are more than 2000 available on ebay today! The following are some that I would purchase to begin my collection, if I were to start a collection. Enjoy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->