Thursday, May 05, 2005

Note to Self: Aach!
The other day I stopped to get gas for my van. I was wearing a floral t-shirt with a few sequins, a pair of jeans and some thongs. My hair was in need. Not much make-up, no jewelry. All in all, a bit of a frump. Pumping gas next to me was a 20-something woman wearing a tailored brown suit with a cream blouse and sensible shoes. Her long blondish hair was slightly curled at the end - a bit wispy but still very professional. She looked very together. And, of course, I was driving a big honkin' van and she was in a small sporty silver car.

I felt all the sudden that I was looking at me past and me present. I used to be her. Okay, I never had a sports car, but I was fashionable, thin, and had good hair. Now? Ugh. I imagined what the then me would have thought of the now me.

I think she would have been frightened if she saw but a photograph. This is not what she intended. Not even close. I think a photograph of the future would have thrown me into severe depression, to tell you the truth.

On the other hand, the inside me would probably exceed her wildest imaginations. Marriage? No way! Children? Are you serious? Spiritual friends? Wowsa!!

Actually, the then me, although nice to look at, didn't really know what she was talking about. My life today is far better than I could have planned it. Had I gotten everything I had asked for I would be living alone and working 80 hours a week at a stressful job. I would have beautiful suits and a nice, clean home, but I would be lonely and unsure where to find "life."

So to the old me: VIOLA! And to the future me: I'll try to give you a better exterior!

2 Comments:

Blogger Melodee said...

I know what you mean!

10:23 PM, May 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi...my 11 year old informed me that I should never call my shoes "thongs". They are flip-flops. Maybe your younger self would have worn flip-flops AND a thong?????? :) sj

10:51 AM, May 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->