Thursday, June 30, 2005

Shoe Be Doo Be Doo
Violet asks: "With all the lusting (over shoes) that you do, how many pair do you actually own?"

Lusting?
Violet!!!! Truly, I don't lust over the shoes. There was a time when I did, but now...not so much. Here's my story:

Just out of college I made a sudden, drastic change in plans and found myself a little lost. I took a job with Pappagallo, planning to work there for a few months while I found a "real" job. I stayed more than 6 years! I already had a thing for shoes, and the heavy discount and constant allure of the shoes contributed to quite a closet full of them! In fact, when I quit working and moved off to law school, I counted 80 pairs of shoes in my closet! Even I was shocked.

After my first year of law school, my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Although the tumor was benign, the lengthy surgery to remove it caused severe and permanent neurological damage and she spent months in the hospital and the rehab center. She eventually went back to work, but was soon layed off. (She had a most excellent lawsuit, but she's not the suing type). I wasn't working and she wasn't working and the money was quickly disappearing. We started trying to sell our stuff and quickly realized how worthless all those shoes were. It hit me hard when I realized how much money I would have if I hadn't purchased the clothes and shoes.

I haven't spent nearly so much on fashion ever since. I'm not angel about spending money, but the shoes just don't have the hold on me they used to have. For years I had only 4 pairs of shoes. This past year or so I have collected a few more and have gone a little overboard on the decorative flip flops, but I would estimate my current shoe count at about 12 shoe shoes and 6 flip flops. The shoes include a turqoise with green polka dot mule, silver satin mules, butter yellow slings, black high-heeled mary janes, black satin mules, walking/sport shoes, brown suede house shoes, red low-heeled mules and super-high gunmetal heels. I'm sure I have 2 or 3 non-descript black shoes to add to that list. The flip flops are generally platform because I don't look good in flat shoes.

I've always thought shoes say a lot about a person's style, more than any other type of apparel. I don't know why. I am just fascinated by shoes. But lustful? Violet! Really!

2 Comments:

Blogger Violet N. said...

Jan, glad you cleared that up! I was convinced I had met an incarnation of Imelda! :)

Actually, your shoe story was sobering... I don't like shoes so much, but I'm addicted to buying books about writing. (Not sure why. Maybe in the reading of them I feel like I'm actually doing what they say!) Will think of your shoe experience the next time I'm tempted! Thanks for answering.

10:01 AM, July 01, 2005  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Violet,
I am exactly the same about books. I buy them because they make me feel like I'm doing what they say. :-) Writing, Christian living, therapy, whatever.

7:57 PM, July 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->