Tuesday, July 26, 2005

True Grit
It has been a busy day here at the home of the happy. We were greeted this morning by the crew that is removing our street and digging ditches in our yard. Oh, yes. We love them. James is concerned about our trees and wildlife. He thinks I should stand out there with a cameral all day to make sure they don't do anything they would regret. Or we would regret, actually. I'm not doin' it.

We had a quick rendezvous with my coworkers to exchange work and then we were off for haircuts. Taking two young boys to the hairdresser is not an ideal situation, but we have managed time and time again. Generally there is a reward for well behaved boys, such as ice cream or going to the park...that sort of thing. Today it was swimming, and they were excited.

Unfortunately, good behavior wasn't on the schedule today. The normally easy-going staff called them down twice (once for running and once for standing on a chair). This doesn't go over well with mommy. I don't mind others telling my children to behave, I mind them getting in trouble! When you're in a chair with scissors going 'round, you can't always see what they're up to and you have to hope they will act like gentlemen because they know how to act! I told them to sit in chairs apart from each other or we would not swim. Next thing I knew, they were chasing. Dadblastit!

When we were leaving, they asked if it was time to go swimming. I calmly announced we would not be going swimming because I keep my word and I told them we would not go if they didn't behave. They erupted in tears. There is something about Spencer crying that has a strong effect on me. He is normally so happy and compliant and when he cries, it is pitiful. He is genuinly sad. I have to brace myself or I will give in. The desire to give in is strong. As we got in the car I moved the mirror so I couldn't see him.

"Mommy," he cried, "You hurt my feelings." He whimpered a little more then, with a sudden wail he remembered, "I promised Chase I would go swimming today!"

Colin, who tends to work things out by talking, started talking, "Well, you shouldn't have told him that because he is not going swimming today and you made him feel bad when you said you would get to go swimming when he couldn't. You shouldn't tell people things like that."

Spencer wailed louder.

By the time we got home Spencer had moved on and started talking about other things. I'm so proud of myself for not giving in. Hopefully, the next trip for haircuts will go much better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Violet N. said...

Good girl! You deserve a swim.

10:24 PM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Muley said...

I know how hard that was not to give in. I'm not sure I could have done it. Little girl tears (like those of my daughters) always melt me.

7:32 AM, July 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->