Saturday, August 27, 2005

Feliz!
I have just returned home from a wedding and I'm exhausted, but I just have to tell you about it before I turn in.

The bride was my neighbor's daughter and, being the close neighborhood we are, the entire block turned out. The wedding started at 3:00 and was held in a small catholic church not far from home. The groom is Mexican and the bride speaks Spanish, so the entire wedding mass was in Spanish except for a few translations here and there. It was an intimate ceremony, not overdone in any way. Children and babies were welcome. The bride and groom were all smiles. It was lovely. As we left the church, a small group of men played festive music on the church steps. They played two saxophones, one tuba, one bass drum, one snare drum and a cymbal. All the people gathered on the steps to congratulate the bride and groom and to chat.

The reception was a buffet fajita dinner. After we ate, a wonderful Mariachi band played and the bride and groom performed two stunning dances for us. Then we had the dances with parents, the dollar dance, the snake dance, the cake, the toasts, and general dancing. I was headed for the door to relieve my mom of her babysitting duties when the younger men grabbed the groom and started throwing him up in the air. Suddenly they headed for the door and I had to move aside. I was the only guest present when they put him down in a corner and started taking his clothes off. Everyone was speaking Spanish, so I had no idea what was happening, but it seemed funny. The groom's clothes were flying through the air! One of the men yelled out, "We need an apron!" I looked around and saw a waiter with an apron and tried to get the bartender (who was close to him) to ask for the apron. The bartender didn't respond, so I tried to catch the waiter. Just then, I tripped down a step and went sailing through the air right to the waiter! Nanoseconds before my face hit the ground, I grabbed the back of the waiter's shirt and then crashed to the floor. Man, was he suprised! Out of the corner of my eye I saw the waiter bend over with laughter and quickly exit the room! (It WAS funny!) I stood up, took the waiter (a young Asian guy) by the arm and dragged him over to the marauding Mexican men. "He's got an apron!" I announced, and they all stopped and looked at me. "Apron. What does this mean?" At this point I'm wondering where was the English speaking guy who asked for an apron?

The Asian guy is wondering what the ____ is going on!

I lifted up the apron and they all said, "OH!" and took if off the poor guy. At this point, it was time for me to leave the party so the bartender could return to the room. I drove home laughing all the way.

So, it was a nice wedding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->