Sunday, September 18, 2005

Wal Mart
So, occassionally I am mysteriously drawn to Wal Mart despite my distaste for the store, and tonight was one of those nights. I don't know what possesses me.

Tonight I noticed that televisions are hanging from the ceilings here and there, scattered about the store. Each one is playing Wal Mart commercials. . . I think. It goes something like, "blah blah blah BLAH blah BLAH blah." I can't tell exactly what they're saying because Wal Mart also plays music over the loudspeakers when loud speakers aren't interupting to call the CM to the customer service desk. (I've also never seen anyone look at the televisions that hang there. The only marketing genius in this scenario is the guy who sold the televisions to Wal Mart.) In addition to all that, every electronic device in the store is turned on to demonstrate its fantastic qualities. When you add all that to the customers who are speaking in loud voices to one another (just because if they don't, nobody will hear them) and the babies who are screaming to get out of that place, and I sink into an acoustic fog.

I wheeled over to the meat market and stared at the meat. Chicken? Hamburger? Brisket? Fly? Oh, wait....what is that fly doing there on the chicken? It is dead.

No meat for us this week.

Dizzy from the sound waves and nauseous from the juxtaposition of the dead fly and the raw meat, a grabbed a bunch of bananas and headed home. Thankfully, the line was short and the clerk was efficient.

Do you ever have those weeks where nothing sounds good at all? You wander through the store and it all looks boring and tasteless. Fast food sound unappealing and you just can't think of anything delicious at all? What do you do? Drink water until your appetite returns? Eat saltines?

I think I may be in the market for some good recipes!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mise en Place said...

I share your hatred of WalMart, I swear I break out in cold sweats whenever I HAVE to go into that place.

9:51 AM, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->