Sunday, November 06, 2005

Women of Faith
I attended the Women of Faith conference this weekend in Oklahoma City. Except for the famously cramped seating, it was a lovely weekend. For the most part, it was music and humor. Sandy Patti entertained us with a hilarious journey through her young musical career then sang the top off the Ford Center with her amazing voice. Kathy Troccoli took us back to the 70s, turning famous secular songs into songs for God. Thelma Wells buzzed around and tucked some nuggets of wisdom into her joyful take on life. Luci Swindoll pierced our hearts and made us wish we lived next door to her. Patsy Clairmont was a hoot. Nicole Johnson, Sheila Walsh and Marilyn Meberg inspired and tugged at our hearts. Chonda Pierce, the four-eyed blonde, made us laugh. (Chonda's Quote for the Day: “I want to live my life so that every morning when I wake up Satan says, “Oh, no! She’s awake!”)

The highlight of the weekend was a girl named Lisa. Lisa, who seems to be a hearing girl, possibly with Down's Syndrome, loves sign language and uses it freely to worship God. I noticed her within the first 5 minutes of the conference singing her heart out in the first row. I'm guessing she's about 5 feet tall, but she signs at least 7 feet high and she puts her whole body into it. She adores Sandi Patty and it was always her dream to sign with her one day. At a concert a few years ago, Sandi noticed her in the audience and called her to the stage. She has signed with Sandi from time to time since then, and she signed/sang this weekend on stage. Her enthusiasm, joy and total abandon were inspiring and touching. She signs the way Sandi sings, and the two of them together was almost more than one could bear. It was beautiful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joyce E. Rempel said...

I wanna be you when I grow up. The happy homemaker part. Thanks for mentioning Chondra Pierce. Went to her website and blessed my socks off.

5:20 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Joyce E. Rempel said...

you probably don't know me. i was blog surfing.

5:22 AM, November 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Women of Faith when it came to Denver back in August. It was fabulous. Nichole Nordemann and Avalon were the musical entertainers.

I love the Chondra Pierce quote!

4:41 PM, November 10, 2005  
Blogger Michael Bates said...

My wife was there, too, and was also very impressed by Lisa's signing -- said it was almost like interpretive dance.

And my wife also remarked about the lack of legroom at the Ford Center.

10:50 PM, November 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->