Thursday, February 23, 2006

Collecting: My Thoughts
I've never considered my self a "collector." If someone ever asks me what I collect, I say, "nothing."

Boy, was I wrong.

During my current "clean sweep" of my home, I've discovered that I am, indeed, a collector and, having made that realization, I'm not sure what to do about it! Here is a small list of things I collect:

blankets
buttons
bowls
snowflakes
postcards
frames
stationery
valentines
sea shells
rocks
pinecones
embroidered handkerchiefs
books
marbles
dust

I purchased a few clear jars with lids and filled them up with buttons, marbles, sea shells & rocks, and they are now nicely displayed on a shelf in the guest bedroom. We donated at least 200 books, so that collection is much smaller. The Valentines, postcards, bowls and handkerchiefs I must keep, but I'm not sure the best way (any ideas?). The pinecones will be used in our next fire (in the fireplace, that is). The dust...well, it just invites itself! The snowflakes are neatly stored for next December. That leaves the blankets and stationery. I'll be sorting through that stuff this weekend.

I think my tendency to collect is caused by a sentimental and frugal spirit. That spirit is at war with my minimalist spirit, but the sentimental has always trumped the minimalist. I can get lost in photographs of modern homes. Truth be told, I love them. I can't understand them, but I love them. If I had the money for two homes, I would have one very sparse home where I would spend most of my time and one old-fashioned home cluttered with trinkets and antiques where I would visit for a cup of tea and a walk down memory lane.

If I ever end up in an insane asylum, it will be due to the war between my two selves.

2 Comments:

Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I personally have a rather large collection of 'dust bunnies'.

later...

12:22 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Judy said...

I would be insane for the same reason.

I think what I do is collect collections.

I don't mean to, but I do.

Bags of books to bring to the thrift store wait at my front door.

11:55 PM, February 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->