Monday, March 20, 2006

Hmmpphhh.

A friend of mine once told me he thought I would be persnickity in my old age. Obviously it made an impact since I haven't forgotten (and it has been at least 22 years!). Recently I reminded him of that and he remembered, but said he thinks he was wrong and I'm not so very persnickity after all. Of course, I'm not really into my "old age" either...but back then we thought 42 WAS old age, so it still counts.

I appreciate him retracting his statement and acknowledging that I am, after all, a fairly light-hearted, optimistic old gal. Still, I got to thinking today he may not have been too far off the mark. You see, I may actually be a little bit, um, demanding in regard to what I consider civilized behavior. For instance, I think men and children should offer their seats to women - especially older or pregnant women. All able-bodied people should offer their seats to handicapped persons and the aged. In fact, they needn't even offer, but should merely stand leaving the seat free for such persons. I know I'm out of date on this point because I routinely observe families with pre-teen children lounging about the waiting areas of restaurants, usually with their legs spread apart, their bottoms near the edge of the seat and their shoulder blades plastered against the wall.

See what I mean. Persnickety.

I also got a little worked up today after 3 salespersons plowed right past me, clearly expecting me to step aside so they could get through. Mind you, I try to stay on my side of the aisle and normally take great pains not to inconvenience others, so I wasn NOT blocking the traffic flow! One salesperson came upon an aisle at the same time I did, but managed to squeeze in there before me with nary a word. She had somewhat of an expression of entitlement on her face.

I wanted to throw my arms up and yell, "Where is the deference????" But I knew it would fall on deaf ears. Employees are not taught that they should be deferential to customers. I don't know why. It seems obvious to me, and maybe it seems obvious to managers, but not so much to their employees. Maybe, just maybe, it is old fashioned to yield to the bread and butter.

I would shop elsewhere, but these days there is nowhere to turn.

Signed,
The Persnickety Homemaker

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to me in a store yesterday: I was bowled over by an employee and her cart full of things to put on the shelf. She looked right at me - so it wasn't accidental.

Angi L.

9:29 PM, March 20, 2006  
Blogger Creativehomemaker said...

I am also amazed how people can be so rude and inconsiderate. I have the hardest time telling my kids not to do things like wedge themselves in between people, when they see grown-ups doing it all the time. We try hard to teach our kids manners, but it seems impossible when the world around us doesn't acknowledge them anymore.

2:28 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

Dear Persnickety,

I feel your pain.

And I am so glad that you are raising two boys who will know how to behave properly.

They are destined to be great husbands and fathers.

And when they get their first job, I am certain that they won't act like that and will give other persnickety people great joy.

Sincerely,

Ditto.

7:02 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Jan said...

Wow. At least I'm not alone in my persnickety persnicketiousness. Perhaps we should all unite and demand deference!

7:13 PM, March 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->