Friday, April 14, 2006

The Crush

Since my boys were born I've been praying for my daughters-in-law. Sometimes I pray alone and sometimes I pray with my boys. We pray that she's having a good day (if she's born, that is), that God will protect her parents and their marriage, that she will have friends who influence her for the good and that love her, that she will know God, and things like that. I already consider them my daughters-I-haven't-met and I love them dearly. In fact, I'm in love with them.

We know many little girls that we believe will grow into fine young women. I enjoy watching them play and wondering if one of them might be the girl I'm praying for. I know there is as much chance that I'll see her on the playground as there is that she is just being born in Vermont... or Africa...but I also know all those little girls represent my girls, and they are a joy to me.

One little girl has recently stolen my heart. Her mother said she talks about me all the time and "just loves" me. The feeling is mutual. Recently she saw me at school and came over to give me a hug and talk to me. We talked for 30 minutes and, well, she is just wonderful. As she skipped away holding her mother's hand, she turned around and waved goodbye and I had the distinct feeling that I had just touched the future. I fell hard.

This week, we had a picnic with her family to celebrate her birthday. Before she left, she came and gave me a big hug. She looked me in the eyes and said, "Did I ever tell you you're special to me?" I told her she hadn't but I was glad because she was VERY special to me, too. She never lost eye contact and then she said, "You're like sunshine to me."

It was all I could do to keep my composure! (Okay, I didn't keep my composure.)

My oldest son is only seven and I'm already falling for the girls! AACH!

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Keep it up!

I have two delightful in-laws who are perfect for my two kids.

Still praying about my youngest. I was sure he had found her. She was PERFECT. But, it wasn't to be.

It's SO important. I'm always surprised when people DON'T do this!

5:27 PM, April 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->