Monday, February 19, 2007

The Colinator

Chapter One
After I told Colin an idea I had for the scouts, he sighed and said, "That is only a little bit better than my worst idea, mommy."

Chapter Two
James was showing Colin and Spencer is extensive sports card collection (which I didn't know existed, by the way) and Colin was impressed. His friends at school didn't believe his daddy had a collection, so Colin was glad to see it did, in fact, exist. He told his Daddy, "I think your card collection is much better than anyone's who is alive!"

Chapter Three
Tonight Colin came to me and said, "Mommy, you know that stuff you put on your hair to make it all one color? Well, God doesn't want you to do that. He loves you just the way you are and you shouldn't change your hair. He doesn't like that."

I asked, "What do you think God thinks about things like washing your hair and combing your hair?"

"Well, that doesn't change the COLOR and you shouldn't change the color because that is the color God wants you to have."

I replied, "Well, it IS the color God gave me, but now my hair is changing and I was just trying to keep the same color God gave me."

Colin was quick to answer: "I'm sure God has a reason for changing the color of your hair and you should not change it yourself."

I told him I would think about what he said. Quickly, blog friends, I need an answer!!!

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

By that logic, we'd never mow the lawn because God made the grass to grow four inches, and let's not even talk about body hair!

Maybe it's no more complicated than "...it's fun, it pleases me, and if I feel good about myself inside and out, I'm a better person, a better mother, and a better Christian. God knows how much I respect his work, and I believe he allows me a little fun."

Or not.

8:41 PM, February 19, 2007  
Blogger Mike Morton said...

I'd give up to tomorrow's leader's logic... You got me.

8:55 PM, February 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, my hairdresser agrees with Colin. She talked me out of a dye job, preferring the natural. I have torn feelings about this situation, though, on several levels. It's a hard one.

10:13 PM, February 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait until he finds the verse about tattoos. You'll really be in trouble then! Won't cha?

I think you should thank him for the material since it prompted a comment from Quinn.

That got me thinking about what would happen if Colin met Daughter! (since he and Lyd are splitso). Talk about material for both moms!

d.

11:50 PM, February 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering how many wonderful things that Colin has said that you DIDN'T blog about. What a child!

I think it would be better if I didn't comment on the hair topic. (For our friend Quinn - in case she checks back, I'm a very premature gray.)

Penny

6:59 AM, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. Me again, but I had to share from today's reading in Anne of Green Gables. Yes, we read this TODAY. Between Marilla and Anne.

"Now then, what did you do to your hair?"

"I dyed it."

"Dyed it! Dyed your hair! Anne Shirley, didn't you know it was a wicked thing to do?"

"Yes, I knew it was a little wicked," admitted Anne. "But I thought it was worth while to be a little wicked to get rid of red (gray) hair. I counted the cost, Marilla. Besides, I meant to be extra good in other ways to make up for it."

d.

1:47 PM, February 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh.. Colinator is right.

I dunno. My dogs have never asked me about my hair dye. I also think, though, that it is probably a good idea to explain to him what the difference is between a matter of taste and a matter of morality. I don't see anything immoral about hair dye... or tattoos for that matter. (although I don't have any)

4:37 PM, February 20, 2007  
Blogger Judy said...

Colin's first comment will have me laughing all day. I must commit that one to memory, as it will come in handy someday.

As for hair dye. I gave it up.

But, in a purely economic sense, would not our civilization as we know it collapse if women gave up hair dye? Truly. It might.

7:06 AM, February 21, 2007  
Blogger Dan Lovejoy said...

Maybe you should share with Colin some of the crazy rules humans have made up to try to please God. Give him a little perspective. ;-)

1:16 AM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->