Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Molding

As I searched for dreamland last night, I started thinking about how I sometimes summarize different people in my life by the things they taught me. You know what they say, that we don't remember days, we remember moments. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. You can spend years on end with someone, but sometimes just a few moments define the person or the relationship. Of course, on deeper reflection there is always more to the story, but those defining moments are usually the first that come to mind.

So, I decided to write down some of the things I've learned from different people in my life...things that have altered me, or molded me, if you will.

Dad: Buy the best clothes you can afford, because if you look good, you'll feel more confident.

Mom: Know a little bit about a lot of things. It makes you a better conversationalist.

Mom's friends: Coffee is addictive.

Aunt Jean: Why wouldn't you trust?

Grandma Norinne: Whistle while you work.

Katy: Classic dress is minimalistic and modest.

James: Never check your baggage.

Miss Manners: Ankles together.

Buzz: One must embellish in order to tell a good story.

Mr. Costello: Walk into a competition as if you are the best.

Dr. Scharnberg: Practice the basics twice as much as you practice the concerto.

Paul Whitmire: You aren't here to socialize. You're here to bring people into the presence of God.

Alice: Sarcasm creates a wall.

Sam: Never put anything in writing that you wouldn't want published in Times Square.

The Doors: People are strange.

Mr. Hyte: For good service, always defer to others and never interrupt. Anticipate needs.

Miss Adams: If you'll be gone, finish your work before you go.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I learned from Jan:
1) Always keep your toenails painted.

2) It is never okay to throw the roll across the table when someone asks you to "pass the rolls".

3) Never put lotion on your heels during church, even if they shut the lights off.

4) You don't always have to talk to be supportive. You can just be there.

5) I never doubt Jan's affection for me.

Do you know who I am?

9:52 PM, August 30, 2007  
Blogger Jan said...

ss

10:57 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:00 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Celeste said...

What I learned from Jan:
listen first, look people in the eye, look as closely as you can at snowflakes!!

11:00 PM, August 30, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right! Love ya, Jan.

Sandy

6:27 PM, August 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I learned from Jan's blog:

Kid art is cool.

Jan's church has the best VBS's ever.

6:20 AM, September 04, 2007  
Blogger Judy said...

I agree with shelly!

I want to go to your VBS, and I would happily hang Kid Art in my home.

3:00 PM, September 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->