Thursday, April 08, 2004

It Just Keeps Getting Better
For those of you who don't know, I read cases for a living. Real, live cases of law. One would think after 8 years of reading cases (and for 6 of those years I read about 30 a day), I may have read it all. NOPE! Every day I see something new. It is amazing what people can think of. More incredulous is the lack of shame. People just don't take responsibility for their own actions! Yesterday I read a Washington state case about a woman who went to Burger King on a rainy day. When she stepped into the restaurant on a tile floor, she slipped and fell. It seems tile can be slippery when wet. BUT NOBODY TOLD HER THAT!!! (I'm guessing she hadn't lived in Washington long!)

My all time favorite case was from Michigan. A woman with multiple personalities went in for surgery. I think she had her gall bladder removed, or something like that. Anyway, she sued the surgeon, the anesthesiologist and the hospital because they had failed to anesthetize 14 of her 15 personalities and those 14 suffered great pain!

You gotta love it!

So, now we have the case of the ruined jacket. Notice the plaintiff himself adhered the sticker to the jacket. I can only imagine his theory of liability must be that he felt he was under a legal obligation to wear the sticker since the poll volunteer guy suggested it. Who knows.

And that, friends, is one reason I love my job!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->