Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Gaming
Our family plays at least one game a day.  We play CandyLand, Go Fish!, Alphabet Animal Bingo, Don't Sink in the Sink, Fast Trak, memory games, tag, hide-and-seek, and puzzle race (who can complete his/her puzzles first), among other games.  James has always enjoyed inventing games, so we play some originals from time to time.  In fact, Colin seems to be following in his father's footsteps by making up games of his own.  Colin, James and I are very competitive.  Spencer not so much, or so I thought.
 
I've learning some things about my children from game playing.  First of all, Colin is very good at card games.  He remembers what people have and he can keep a straight face.  He will quickly discard the fish you ask for so you will not be able to make a set of four.   He knows how to mislead people about what cards he really needs, and he is always keeping an eye out for someone to accidentally reveal their cards.
 
Spencer's specialty is hide and seek.  He has amazing patience, waiting in silence for 20 minutes or more.  We played last night and I finally found him laying flat under a blanket under a bed.  He was so still, I really didn't think he was under the blanket, but I pulled it out just in case.  There he was!  Suprise!  Now in our game, once you find the person and tag him, he is it and must find someone.  After I tagged him, I ran from the room thinking he might not understand the urgency of chasing me.  He did.  I snuck into a 2-door bathroom and pulled the door shut behind me.  My thought was that he would go downstairs, and I would slip into a better hiding place.  At best, he would storm into the bathroom and I would exit the other door and get away.  But Spencer is too clever.  He jiggled a door handle as if he was trying to open it.  I started to slip out the other door, and there he was!  He had quickly and silently run to the other door to catch me!  Wow!  I was impressed by his quick thinking and a little frightened that he could be so clever!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Penny- We DO have Caribou! The boys love that game, and Colin is a first class cheater, too! Unfortunately, on of the balls got caught in a door just yesterday and crumbled into a zillion pieces! We'll have to try Caddoo!

10:04 PM, July 21, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->