Thursday, August 05, 2004

Amen, Brother!
I woke up this morning to stories from my friends about their days yesterday. Penny spent the day super-cleaning her kitchen with her brand new mopping "system." Immediately upon arriving home her daughter dropped her blue Sonic slushy on the floor, which burst upon impact to cover the kitchen in gooey blue droplets. Ouch.

Dawn had quite a day, which included a boa constrictor attack, a lost tooth, and her 2-year-old discovering he has excellent aim: he knocked down the ceiling light with a single blow whilst she was emerging from the shower all wet and nekked.

Parenthood, with all its rewards, can be mind boggling. You're always busy, but you never seem to get anything done all the way. No doubt you are actually accomplishing something grand, but its difficult to see it some days.

My third visit this morning resulted in another parenthood commentary from James Lileks, one of my favorite daily reads. Read his bleat, but here's a portion:

"It’s just different, that’s all. Anyone who’s home all day with a kid knows what I mean. Whatever train of thought you have is derailed every 45 seconds. That’s just how it goes. I’m lucky; when my wife comes home she takes over completely, and Gnat is in Mom-heaven. If my wife came home and plopped on the sofa, watched soaps or headed off to play golf, I think I would expel streams of hot liquid brain matter out of my ears. Is it hard? No. If “storming Normandy” is 100, then staying home all the time when a kid is a –10. Nothing I have ever heard at an office compares to the sound of Gnat saying “I love you, Daddee” because I fixed her computer or helped her put a dress on a Polly Pocket or found a lost Care Bear or gave her a new bar of soap for the post-pool shower. It’s just that sometimes you want to scream, because you’ve been Parent Robot since you got up nine hours ago. "

That's all I'm trying to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->