Monday, August 09, 2004

Pledged
I just finished the book Pledged (see below for link). It was interesting despite being the most poorly written book I've ever read. I, myself, am/was a sorority girl and I picked up the book to see if it was accurate. For the most part, it was. I didn't experience the drugs and the sex that the book "reveals," but I'm sure some of my sisters did. It just wasn't a part of daily, in-house life. According to the book, some sorority houses have "drug rooms" and the girls get drunk in their own bedrooms before going out. Although the sorority girls I knew did plenty of drinking, I never saw it in a house. Even after I left OU and found myself "house-less" at OSU, I spent a good deal of time at the Kappa Delta house. I never saw alcohol there, either. I did, however, witness several personal Bible studies there. In other words, don't believe everything you read.

The book did take me on a sentimental journey through my first years of college, though. I haven't thought about many aspects of sorority life for years. I had forgotten about candlelights, formal meetings, formals, rush and even initiation. I now remember trying to learn the greek alphabet and the names of all the founding members of my sorority. I remember interviewing members and learning protocol for formal meals. I remember learning the sorority way to sit while rushing a girl, and keeping small pieces of paper hidden under the couch cushions so we could make notes about the girls we were rushing. It is all so surreal.

I didn't really plan on being a sorority girl. A highschool girlfriend talked me into it. I decided to go through rush just two months before it began. While other girls had been planning for years and had spent the summer shopping in Dallas for the perfect rush outfits and getting the perfect haircuts, I was scanning the sales racks in my home town just days before rush began! I was terribly naive about the whole process. Its a good thing, or I may have been terrified! Luckily all my friends mothers had a great liking for me, and I got recs (recommendations) for a lot of good houses. Mrs. Gooch was determined to make me a Kappa, and I wanted to be one because she wanted me in so badly. They probably kept me around longer than they wanted because of her glowing rec, but they finally cut me just before Preference Night (the final night of rush).

Once I was in a house, I found myself a little embarrassed about it. I didn't really want a sorority girl image. My house had chosen me for my grades, so they let me and a few other girls (we were the top three in our class) do just about anything we wanted. I skipped a lot of parties and I didn't have to do any study hours (most girls were required to do 15 per week at the house). By the time my pledge class went on a retreat in October, I didn't know any of my sisters except the three that came from my hometown!

I'm really glad I was in a sorority. I learned a lot from it. I had some fun. I made some friends. And, I suppose, that's what its all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->