Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Not So Good
I went to the nursing home today. Dad is in the skilled care unit now. As soon as he saw me he demanded I remove the tape that was holding his head to the bed. There was no tape. There was no restraint of any kind. He didn't believe me. "Jan!" he scolded, "get me out of here." I lifted his head to prove there was no tape. Finally convinced his head was free, he argued he was otherwise stuck to the bed. I searched, but found no restraint. I told him he was not restrained, but I needed him to stay in bed and let people take care of him. He told me not to talk about people taking care of him. A tear rolled down his face.

I talked to his doctor. He said he most likely had brain damage from lack of blood flow to his brain just prior to surgery or during surgery (or both). He said some people regenerate and some don't. We just have to wait and see.

As I said in an earlier post, I had expected this sort of thing to happen eventually, but I didn't expect to be catapulted into it. I certainly didn't count it as a possible outcome of the surgery. So, I'm in a bit of shock right now. And I'm out of words.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kyndal said...

Jan, I'm praying for you and your dad. Please call me if you need anything. I'm here for you!

2:27 PM, September 29, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan,
I can't even imagine.

I am praying.

Love,
Angi

2:49 PM, September 29, 2004  
Blogger Babs said...

My prayers are still with you and your dad.

9:40 PM, September 29, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->