Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Up to the Minute News
First of all, dad's okay (kind of)...but I'll get to that in a moment.

The morning started off all wrong. I got Colin dressed and ready for school with scrambled eggs and toast in his tummy and everything. We sat on the porch and waited for his carpool ride to arrive. When she drove up, she got out to ask me about my dad, and Colin ran off. I assumed he was getting something he had forgotten and talked to my friend for a moment. When it was time to leave, Colin had disappeared. We looked. We called. We yelled. We looked more. No Colin. I told my friend to leave so she wouldn't be late, and I went inside to search the corners of every closet in the house. I began to panic a bit, thinking he may have choked or something and couldn't respond. This has never happened before. He loves to hide, but he loves jumping out to scare you even more. There was no jumping out!!! I called James at work to see if he had any ideas where to look. Not really. At this point I was in tears.

The phone rang and it was my friend. "I've got Colin," she said. She couldn't really talk, but she told me she gave him a speech about why his hiding was a really bad idea. It turns out he had hidden in the garage because he doesn't like the car seat in their car. When she pulled out of the driveway, he emerged. But she saw him from the street and came back to get him. I guess she just threw him in the car and left for school! She couldn't reach me because I was on the phone with James!

This little incident put me over the emotional edge. I was now in a near-coma state of mind! Thank goodness a friend invited me over after school. I sat on her couch all afternoon until I came out of my fog. I was on the edge of tears all afternoon. I guess the ordeal with my dad caught up with me the moment my son was missing. Too much emotion! Anyway, thank you dear "A" for the afternoon. You saved me!

My dad has had a difficult day. Really, its the nurses who are suffering. He keeps telling them they are torturing him. He's pulling at his wires, taking his oxygen off, and trying to escape the hospital so they will quit bossing him around. The day nurse called me around two to tell me he seemed a little "off" so they were going to do a CAT scan of his brain. She didn't tell me he was acting belligerent. The night nurse called me for help, though. That was the right thing to do. I talked to him on the phone and told him to leave the stuff alone until I got there, and he did. Seeing me really calmed him down. I stayed tonight until he was fast asleep.

He really did seem "off." He's acting like I've been expecting him to act when he reaches the advanced stages of Parkinson's, which is to say he will seem like an Alzheimer's patient. He may have a personality change and have trouble remembering and understanding. That's how he seemed tonight. I wonder if this one week's activities have thrust the Parkinson's disease progression forward, or if he's just having trouble dealing with the anesthesia. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Sorry you had such a rough day. Some days life really sucks. But we love you and you are very much in our prayers. Try a little deep breathing or quilting. That always works for me.

Aunt Carol Ann

9:23 PM, September 28, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->