Thursday, February 10, 2005

Million Dollar Baby
Mom and I went to the movie last night (or, should I say, "the movies"?). Yesterday afternoon I recieved free tickets to see Hitch and thought it would be a nice diversion. We arrived 15 minutes early, but they were all ready "sold out." What's up with that? Seemed as if they were turning away tons of people. Overbooking, the stuff of life.

We decided to stay and see Million Dollar Baby, thereby falling right into the theater's little bait-and-switch trap. I hadn't heard anything about the movie except that it was "good." Never even saw a billboard!! I was suprised to discover in the opening scene that we had entered a boxing movie!!

We both enjoyed the movie. I thought it was "good." The story includes boxing, but the real story is about lonely people and the attachments they form. It was lovely (in a gross, broken and bleeding nose sort of way).

Of course, when I did a bit of research to write this post, I discovered that it is a very controversial movie. (I guess I need to get out more). If you want to know why, you have to learn something about the ending to find out. I don't intend to ruin it for you here. However, I would like to say that I did not agree with the character's choice in the movie, but I don't view that as a reason to boycott a movie. It may be important to educate people about right and wrong and the consequences of choices we make, but if we decide to boycott movies and books that include wrong choices, we will have to boycott the Bible, too. Certainly we can learn from wrong as well as from right.

I understand that many believe the movie glamorizes the character's choice. That is why they are angry. Has anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts (without giving away the ending).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just reading about the movie last night on overlawyered.com (The entry is below.). I felt like I was really out of it because I'd never even heard of the movie. So, just want you to know you're not the only one out of the loop.
Also, loved your "boycotting" comments. You go girl!

1:12 PM, February 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eastwood, lawsuits, and "Million Dollar Baby"? (from overlawyered.com)
Activists are suggesting that Clint Eastwood's bad experience with a lawsuit of a particular flavor has influenced the ending to Oscar nominee "Million Dollar Baby" and cite his tort reform testimony before Congress as evidence. (Michael Miner, "Dubious Conclusions", Chicago Reader, Jan. 28; Jack Mathews, "Times is not right to spoil 'Baby' end", NY Daily News, Feb. 4). Unfortunately, the stories uncritically quote activists who suggest incorrectly that Eastwood's proposed reform would gut the law...

1:32 PM, February 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->