Friday, February 18, 2005

Newspaper Snippettes

Our assignment today is, simply, "Newspapers." I'm not interested on writing a dissertation on any one newspaper topic today, although the Tulsa Whirled surely deserves one. Instead, I offer random commentary.

1. Where there is a newspaper, there also is a cat.

2. When I was in Hotel and Restaurant Administration school at Oklahoma State University, we decided to start a small newsletter for the HRM students. The OSU paper was named, "The O'Collegian," so I named our newspaper, "The O'Collander."

3. My husband, who conducts market research, has many newspapers as clients. His clients are from Seattle all the way to Boston, but thankfully do not include The Whirled.

4. Coupon advertising has to be the most effective advertising available. We look through them, we carefully cut them out, we save them, we notice them from time to time, but we usually end up at the supermarket without them.

5. I worked for Pappagallo for a long time (too long, actually), and for a while I was in charge of advertising placement. I probably should have used the coupon section.

6. At present, there is some section of a newspaper in nearly every room of my house.

7. The Daily Oklahoman called me in January to say they were going to bring us the paper everyday for no charge. I said, "Okay, thank you," and hung up. Sure enough, they're out there everymorning, right in the middle of the muddy section of our yard.

8. My favorite newspaper columns are (in no particular order): Kathleen Parker, Miss Manners, Melba's Swap Shop and the grammar column. I also read the obituaries every day.

9. I read almost all of the comic strips. I still miss Calvin & Hobbes.

10. Ricky Poslick was the richest kid in 5th grade because he had a paper route. He delivered both the morning and the evening papers from his bicycle. He had a system of marks on the curbs so he could see which homes had each paper. Most of his money was spent buying penny candy, which he sold "underground" at school for 5 cents each.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Mallow said...

Yes, I miss Calvin and Hobbes, too...definitely one of the greatest comic strips of all time. His views were visionary, and though the other comic strip artists either didn't realize it or berated him for it, he pushed boundaries and made stands for them that could only increase the quality of their content, if they let it.

Then of course, there was the world he created...so easy to get lost in. Was Hobbes "real" or wasn't he? What WAS real in that world? I have all of the Calvin and Hobbes books, and I still regularly pull them out and read them. I'm glad to see there are others out there that miss that great strip as much as I do.

7:11 PM, February 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How in the WORLD do you know so much about about Ricky Poslick? Even I didn't know that he had a paper route, or sold candy at school.... guess that's because you were part of the "IN crowd" that I never seemed to be able to penetrate! -- meg

8:21 PM, February 19, 2005  
Blogger Jan said...

yes, that's it Meg. I was part of the "in" crowd.

Ha Ha Ha!

That's why you, me and Ricky were always sitting on the sidelines at the make-out parties!

Ricky made the Enid Morning News for his ingenious curb markings, and I know about the penny candy because he sold it in my 5th/6th grade class. He hollowed out his standard-issue dictionary to make a box and kept the candy in there. If you passed him a nickle, he'd give you a piece.

I was always scared to buy the underground candy at school, but one day I got the idea that it might help me socially. Mark Steffen volunteered to be the go-between. (He was my primary tormentor, and my 5th grade mind thought he was being nice and I should go along to become his friend). He gave the nickle to Ricky and then handed me a piece of candy. Before I could hide the candy, Mark raised his hand, pointed to me and said, "Teacher! Janice has candy!"

And, as you can see, I've never forgotten it.

9:14 PM, February 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->