Monday, July 18, 2005


Indianapolis 500, May 31, 1939. My Grandfather was a huge fan of motor sports (and cars in general). This photo was on a page with several others that round out the story he told me of this weekend trip. He and his buddies headed south for the 90-mile trip to the speedway, but their car broke down. They didn't have time to fix it AND make it to the race, so they pushed the car off the road into some trees and hitchhiked to Indianapolis. It must have been some kind of grand adventure for him to tell it to me 60 years later!
Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger M.Stonecipher said...

AHH HAAA... now I know where I got it from. Sounds like something I would do!!
The speedway has sure changed from those days.
I wonder what he would think about me racing now?

9:27 PM, July 18, 2005  
Blogger Muley said...

Jan--

I love your old family photos and the stories that go along with them. I look forward to more.

4:17 PM, July 20, 2005  
Blogger Jan said...

Thank you, Muley. You are always so encouraging. I appreciate that.

8:47 PM, July 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->