Sunday, August 28, 2005

Brian* is disturbed. He took a trip around the blogosphere recently and discovered it is full of conservatives. (Oh, the horror!!) Brian says, "I know they exist, but I hadn't really seen the other side." Well, one of the horrors he stumbled upon was The Happy Homemaker, who shows her children's drawings of butterflies and lambasts Planned Parenthood all in the same page. Can you imagine????

Truly, I have no problem with Brian. I take no offense. However, I do have a bit of trouble with the implication that people who have children who draw butterflies are not qualified to discuss the evils of Planned Parenthood. I'm not certain whom Brian would consider properly qualified, actually. Not me, though. I'm happy and I even call myself a homemaker. I love my children. I scrapbook. I cook (occassionally). I drive a mini-van. I even use rubber stamps to make cards!!!! Surely I am low on the intelligence scale.

Of course, all of us who blog suffer from some form of narcissism, but I'm not in this for self-promotion and my self-concept is rarely dented by public opinion. What Brian doesn't know is that I'm an attorney and a registered lobbyist. He doesn't know that I have scoured the Planned Parenthood website and have become an expert on their tactics. He doesn't know that behind the fun-loving nature of this blog (my hobby) I am a serious thinker.

But, that doesn't matter. Even if I'm "just" a happy homemaker who loves children, scrapbooks, cooks and stamps, I can and should educate myself on what Planned Parenthood is up to these days. The organization recieves a sizeable sum of money (pg.24) from the government year after year and uses it to educate our children. What are our children learning? Go find out.

("Brian" is the name I chose for the guy who wrote about me on his blog. I'd link to him, but I can no longer find him, though I really have tried. He was a new blogger. Maybe he quit?)

3 Comments:

Blogger babyivanov said...

You know, Jan, I did not read what he wrote about you on his blog... but, I have this comment... I had Luka 7 months ago, and chose to take a semster off from work and stay home with him... as you know, I have a Ph.D., but it was as if all the sudden at once people felt sorry for me and thought I was stupid... I thought it was an honor to stay home and take care of my son and more important than anything I have ever done at work... in fact, if I was not a professor, I would never have gone back to work, as I cannot imagine being away from him that much (taking care of him is too important to miss)... it did not, however, make me incapable of intelligent conversation or thinking... anyway, I disdain people like Brian* who assume that wonderful, caring mothers do not have anything rattling around upstairs... sorry for ranting!:-)

7:54 PM, August 28, 2005  
Blogger Melodee said...

You've hit on one of the things that annoys me most about people's assumptions about stay-at-home mothers. Thank you.

6:49 PM, August 30, 2005  
Blogger Linda said...

A good rant. I like your style, so what if "Brian" doesn't!

10:32 AM, September 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->