Monday, September 12, 2005

Speechless of Late
I just don't have much to say lately. New Orleans is wasted. I can't wrap my head around what happened at the Superdome or all the people who are wandering this great nation in search of a new life and lost family members. I can't fathom the mental health of the people who saw what they saw, endured the exhaustion, hunger and chaos and lost everything. It is so astonishing and sobering. I've wept for them and I will weep more.

Justice Rehnquist died and we have two vacancies on the Supreme Court. I don't know about you, but I find that unsettling.

I've been working on a scrapbook that is all about me. In part, I am making the book for my boys and for me. But, I'm doing it now to remember my dad, too. It was almost a year ago that he went to heart hospital, the beginning of the end. A friend of mine told me her dad had died after suffering from Alzheimers and it took her seven years before she could remember how he was before he was sick. My dad had Parkinson's, which can include dementia in the later stages, so I knew what she meant. Rather than wait 7 years, I am trying to remember who he was now.

My friend SS has been praying for my memories to be "redeemed." She said she believes God can take bad memories and turn them into sweet memories by showing how He was present in the midst of the trouble and how He used it for good. (She heard about this from Dennis Jernigan). I am grateful for her prayers and her loving spirit. Seems like a good prayer for the Katrina survivors, too, doesn't it?

All of this sounds very gloomy, doesn't it? I am in a bit of a gloom fog, but in general everything is fine. I welcome the gloom that is grieving. There is a joy in working through sorrow and I don't have any desire to escape it. My family is well, my bills are paid and my house is messy as always. No worries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->