Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Grass is Greener
I drove home through Nichols Hills today and noticed a team of men in white coats preparing strands of Christmas lights to decorate a home. I was driving the speed limit (25), so it was hard to count how many men were there, but my best guess is 6. This got me to thinking about something that has been puzzling me for some time now: how is it that my friends are always well dressed, relaxed and driving clean cars? How do they keep their homes so clean, landscaped and beautifully decorated? Why do their hair and nails always look perfect?

Some of them are energetic and gifted at homemaking, but I am discovering that many of them have help. Significant help. They wouldn't dream of digging around in their own yards to pull out trees or plant bushes. In fact, they may have a team visit their home at specified times throughout the year to weed, plant and decorate. They have sprinkler systems timed to water each morning so they don't have to. Crews buzz by once or twice a week to mow and rake. Teams of men hang Christmas lights and take them back down. A decorator is always on the lookout for the latest items to freshen the look inside, a caterer is available for parties and a maid arrives weekly to dust, vacuum and scrub.

When I was young, this sort of assistance was reserved for the very wealthy, but these days it is common. (My station in life has not changed significantly, so I feel qualified to make this observation, though some may claim I simply got wealthier friends). It is no wonder I can't keep up with them when I'm getting muddy and sweaty in the garden, scrubbing showers, decorating for holidays and washing windows.

So, I was wondering how much more time I would have if I hired more things done. For instance, if I had more than enough money to hire all that (seasonal decorating, cleaning, yard work, decorating, shopping for stuff to do all that...), would I have 3 hours more per day? 4 hours? What would I do with that time? Would I want to hire it out, or is it stuff I actually enjoy doing?

Before I answer (and I will), I wonder what you think? With money as no impediment, would you hire the jobs done? Which ones? Why? What would you do with the extra time?

5 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I simply need a motivator.

If a gardener was coming, I would feel compelled to spiff it up before he came (he would be old and speak with a lilt).

If I had a cleaning lady, I would NEVER let her in until I had a chance to clean things up a bit (my cleaning lady would be 'hazel').

If I had a cook, I would have to scrub out that disgusting vegetable crisper. I cannot think of who I would want for a cook. My tastes run towards pizza in a box, so just about anyone would seem wonderful to me.

Then, in my free time I would organize all my stuff, and sit back and look at it all organized. Using it would just mess it up.

I would play the piano more, and open a day care for cute obedient children. And, I would read my favorite blogs more often.

9:43 PM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger CGHill said...

I saw that same house in Nichols Hills myself yesterday (6600 block of Penn), just after sunset.

And if you go through there during the summer at 5:30 pm, you'll see a minimum of half a dozen lawn services, their trucks parked on the side streets, their staff busily mowing and edging.

I don't mind working in the garden, trimming the trees, and such, but I'd outsource the mowing if the budget permitted.

8:47 AM, November 17, 2005  
Blogger Linda said...

Unlimited money for hired help=more fun time with kids and time for scrapbooking!

I would definitely hire a housekeeper and someone to cook healthy meals. My husband would hire someone to cut the grass, although now that our oldest is 11, he has someone to do it for free. :) It would be nice, though, to have someone come and do a little landscaping around our property.

It's so much fun to dream...

10:14 AM, November 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though the following can't by any stretch of imagination or fantasy describ me: "always well dressed, relaxed and driving clean cars? How do they keep their homes so clean, landscaped and beautifully decorated? Why do their hair and nails always look perfect?"
I assume you still count me as your friend. You were probably just being kind not to say "Most of my friends, except for a few: YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE." I do have good hair right now, though. So, there's that. . .

;)

Angi L.

1:31 PM, November 21, 2005  
Blogger Jan said...

Hey, the very bestest friends are the ones who have imperfect homes like mine.

; )
J

1:36 PM, November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->