Monday, November 07, 2005

Ice, Ice Baby
So, last night as we were getting ready for homework (reading), Colin ran down the hall, tripped, and gashed his head on the strike plate of the door. At first I just thought he hit his head and I was holding him tight as he wailed. I knew it hurt because he rarely cries for physical injury. When he calmed down and I asked him where it hurt (so I could kiss it), he sat up and I saw that he and I were both covered in blood. I suggested we go for stitches and then the real wailing began.

James and I had to wrestle him to the car. James had the brilliant idea to send us with a portable DVD player and Colin's Christmas present: a Bill Nye the Science Guy DVD. Once we got that rolling, Colin calmed down considerably. We went to Children's Hospital (because there is rarely a wait there) and set up the DVD player in the waiting room. Having an unnatural level of experience going to the emergency room, I thought to bring a stack of quarters so we could enjoy the vending machines. We were set up nicely.

As we made our way back to the patient room, Colin acted brave, but he was holding on tight. He whispered to me that he was really scared. Then he told the doctor it didn't hurt at all and he really just needed a band-aid. She washed it off while I played nurse. Colin was tense as he waited for the verdict. Finally she announced, "I think a staple will fix it up."

He waited until she left the room to get her staples and then he lost it. NO STAPLES! He told me he was mad at me for bringing him there, he would never go back there again, I lied to him, he didn't like doctors, he was leaving, he just needed a band-aid and he was NOT going to have a staple.

The doctor returned and she was stunned by the scene.

Thankfully, she was a wise doctor. She got him to lay down so she could look at it again. We put ice on his head to numb it and finally she told him to count to three. Just before he said three, she stapled him. He said, "What was that?"

"A staple."

"That was it?!? That didn't hurt. I think I'll have some more ice!"

The doctor laughed and stapled him one more time. Colin jumped up and said, "I'm okay! I'm alright! That didn't hurt at all!"

Today he is at school showing off his shiny staples so everyone can see how brave he is.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless his heart! Get well Colin! I'm glad he's thrilled with his staples. . .

Angi L.

3:37 PM, November 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad that didn't happen before halloween. Imagine going to school with staples in your forehead.


toooo coool

4:46 PM, November 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you and Dawn having a contest?
Is this some sort of weird ER scavenger hunt?

Please leave me out of it. (Very glad the injuries are not worse - for either family!)

PE

5:55 PM, November 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Colin! But he has something to "show off" and also found out that things aren't always as bad as they seem!
When I was about his age, I cut the bottom of my foot on a broken pop bottle (remember those glass bottles??). My parents put me in a chair to clean my foot and put a towel on it. It was determined that I needed to go to the ER, and they had to put me.....and the chair...in the car to get us there. I wouldn't let go! I was wailing and so scared! But it prepared me for the ER when I was 11 and ran through a full length window. I didn't even cry! ss

7:11 PM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->