Thursday, January 18, 2007

I finally got out of the house yesterday! It was glorious! Most Oklahoma schools are still closed because the busses can't get through the side streets and the cities can't get the school's parking lots and sidewalks cleared off (and then some don't even have electricity!) Our school, being private, doesn't use busses and was able to clear the sidewalks, so we are good to go.

Of course, more snow (up to a foot) is on its way tomorrow. I don't recall ever having a winter storm "event" last more than 3 days in Oklahoma, so this is something for the books. Although the world looks like it is covered in snow, we are actually covered in about 5 inches of sleet. I can drive out of my driveway and not leave tracks! I just drive right over the ice!

So, yesterday I nearly finished my shopping for this summer's VBS. James and I are in charge this year and we have selected Narnia as our theme, so I went out shopping for 90% off trees and snow. I felt as if I was robbing the stores, to tell you the truth. I have a tax letter (religious organizations are exempt from sales tax) and Hobby Lobby takes 10% off the final bill for churches, so I got everthing at 91% off, no tax. I left one store with 6 seven-foot trees, 38 extension cords and a few packages of snowflake decorations for a grand total of $62. I also filled up my entire van with bags of "snow" for $24.

On schedule for today? Plan for and then teach the Cub Scouts about First Aid! Restock the pantry for round two of this winter storm! Search for wood!

Fun times.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dana~Are We There Yet? said...

I'm with you in the frigidness! Feels a little like the Clem Domicile has been transplanted to Narnia...the den has definitely come to resemble the Beavers' dam!

Stock up and stay warm, Sister!

BTW: Mad props to you for the VBS scores! Sounds like the kids at your church are in for some fun!

12:33 PM, January 18, 2007  
Blogger Mrs. S. said...

It should be summer by now in Oklahoma.. After all, Christmas is over!

1:28 PM, January 18, 2007  
Blogger Melodee said...

Wow, you are on the ball! I'm only starting to vaguely think about VBS!

You're having the winter we had a couple of weeks ago. I'm so glad we're back to early spring again! (Fifty-three degrees today!)

11:41 PM, January 23, 2007  
Blogger Judy said...

I am so very impressed.

Two summers ago we made snowglobes from baby food jars at Bible School. That would be SO Narnia!

'Always winter, but never Christmas'.

9:49 PM, January 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->