Thursday, February 22, 2007


Back in October of 1997 I took my mom to the animal shelter because she wanted a cat. Before I left, I teased James that I would be bringing home a little orange kitten and we could call him Pumpkin. James didn't really want a cat...it was just a joke.

As my mom looked at the cats, I stopped to play with a few myself. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned to see a fluffy orange cat reaching out of his cage to get my attention. I went to him and took him out of his cage. His name was Loverboy and he lived up to the name. He was rubbing his head on my neck and purring wildly. I was in love. And he was orange.

But, of course, we already had two cats and we weren't in need of more. I steeled myself and left him there.

Until the next day.

I just couldn't stand it. With James' permission, I returned to see if he was still there. I was sure he would be gone and I could rest easy knowing he was loved and didn't need us. But, he was there...and he was Loverboy all over again. I took him home and we called him Pumpkin.

Over the next nine years, Pumpkin definitely became James' cat. Once playful and exhuberant, he retired to the guest room upon the birth of our children, and he has held court there daily for eight years now. James uses the room's closet, so he had one-on-one time with Pumpkin every day, even if the rest of us never saw him.

Although Pumpkin was a reclusive indoor cat, he did occassionally find the outdoors calling him and he knew just how to sneak out as we came in at night. Every few months he just needed a romp outdoors - a little excitement for a night.

Monday night was just such a night. Pumpkin ran out and we couldn't find him. I checked on him all the way up until midnight, but he would not show himself.

We were awakened at 5:00 a.m. by the sound of dogs outside our window. James and I both ran out and chased the dogs away, but we were too late to save Pumpkin.

We are devastated. Pumpkin was a faithful companion and a solid link to our past. He was innocent and undeserving of his fate. We will miss him every day.

Rest in peace, Pumpkin. Rest in peace.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jan, I'm sorry about Pumpkin.

love ya. Sandy

8:31 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

I'm so sorry-I love fluffy orange kitties too. I was loving the story and the pictures until I figured out where it was all going. Again, I'm sorry.

8:59 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Judy said...

I too am so sorry.

So glad Pumpkin had such a happy home for so many years.

9:45 PM, February 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. He was a sweetie.

Angi

P.S. You're a very good writer.

10:31 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Saska said...

I am so sorry. Losing a pet can be so hard.
Glad you gave Pumpkin a good home for the years that you did.

9:30 AM, February 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww :( I am so sorry. What a terrible way to go but Pumpkin is at peace now. Try to think of all the happy years he got that he wouldn't have had if your family hadn't rescued him from the shelter.

7:17 PM, February 23, 2007  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I'm sorry about Pumpkin Jan.

Orange cats are always the "best".

11:01 PM, February 24, 2007  
Blogger Robin said...

That is terrible! I am so sorry. Maybe after a while it will be time to rescue another orange kitty who needs some love. Pumpkin was very lucky to have you.

8:39 PM, February 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->