Friday, January 18, 2008

Tricky Diagnosis

Tuesday I sent Colin and Spencer to school with ham sandwiches for lunch. They came home with nothin.' I decided they liked ham sandwiches, so Wednesday I sent Colin and Spencer to school with ham sandwiches for lunch. After school on Wednesday, I found one completely full lunch bag on the kitchen table. James and I asked the boys: Which one of you did not have lunch today? Both claimed to have had lunch.

"What did you have?" we asked.

"Ham sandwich," said Colin.

"Ham sandwich," said Spencer.

hmmmm. I announced that is was clear that at least one boy was telling me a lie, and I would discover who it was.

"Well," said Colin, "I think I may know what happened. It may be that I couldn't find my lunch at lunch time because it was possibly in my backpack or something, but I found the ham sandwich you gave me from the day before, so I ate it. So I DID have a ham sandwich for lunch."

There was a moment of stunned silence. Then a gulp.

"So, you ate a sandwich I gave to you on Tuesday morning...on Wednesday?"

"mmm hmmm."

"Colin,"
said I, "that is not a good idea. You should not eat meat that has been in your locker for a whole day. Especially ham! You could get trichinosis!"

"Will I die?"

"Probably not. Do you feel okay now? But, Colin! You could feel very, very sick. Is your tummy okay?"

I told Colin he would probably be okay, but to let me know if he started feeling weird or his stomach started hurting. I said if he didn't get sick in 24 hours, he should be fine. He agreed to keep me informed.

Thursday at noon: Colin calls me from school.

"Hi, Mommy! This is Colin. I just called to tell you that I'm not dead! Isn't that great! So I guess I didn't get trichinosis."

"That is wonderful news Colin. I'm so glad you're not dead."

"Well, anyway, do you remember what Mr. Roach said?"

"Uh...no."

"Well, remember when he said God had big plans for my life? Well, I was thinking, if God really has big plans for my life, I probably wasn't going to die today, anyway. It would be too soon!"

"Well, that is probably true, Colin!"

"So, well, I guess we won't have to go to the hospital after school then. Isn't that great news?"

"Oh, yes. It would be especially sad if you were dead or went to the hospital on daddy's birthday."

"That's true! I didn't even think of that! Well, bye, Mommy! Have a great day!"

"Bye, Colin. I love you!"

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Violet N. said...

Jan, your boys are such a treat!

8:10 PM, January 20, 2008  
Blogger celestejdvorak said...

Well, this just made my day! I love this dialogue! Bless you and those beautiful boys!
Miss you, Jan.

12:05 PM, January 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a neat relationship you have with your boy. Love it. Good to see you again, Jan!

barb aka lovely wife

10:53 PM, January 21, 2008  
Blogger Judy said...

Your sons are SO charming. What a memory to treasure.

It reminded me though, that I have a grown man of a son who will still call me to ask if he might be dying due to some horrible thing he has eaten.

Sometimes I just respond by saying, 'well, if you don't, call me and let me know'.

10:44 PM, January 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->