Thursday, July 01, 2004

Take It Away?
Many years ago I learned something about etiquette that I almost wish I had never learned. Why? Because the rule is rarely followed. If I didn't know, I wouldn't be bothered by the constant transgressions. So, if you don't want to know, stop reading right now.

The rule is that you should not clear plates from a dinner table until all the diners at that table are finished eating. The idea behind the rule is that you don't rush the diners who are still eating and you don't interrupt conversation. To that end, wait staff should also refrain from constantly asking, "Is everything okay?" The waiter should keep a quiet eye on the table for drinks that need refreshing and for signs from the diners that they require assistance. It is simply boorish to keep asking to help.

Anyway, I was dining with a gentlemen one evening about 10 years ago. He had clearly finished his meal, but each time the waiter asked to take his plate, he quietly said, "No thank you, I'm not finished." It wasn't until I was finished that he allowed the waiter to take both plates. (The waiter obviously did not catch on.) I learned from this gentleman that it is possible to take quiet control over a manners situation without calling attention to ones self.

I found this poll on Emily Post's website. It seems the nation is split on the topic to take or not to take. Both sides have good arguments, in my opinion. But as for me, don't take. What do you say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->