Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Big Times
We had ourselves a big day yesterday. After working at the school (organizing shipments, delivering mail, cleaning toys, etc.), we headed downtown for our big adventure. We started at the Myriad Gardens (which now, unfortunately, charges for parking) and took the first trolley we found after running through the mazes of the botanical gardens. We got on the wrong trolley (purple line), but it was okay. It took us right to the Bass Pro Shop. We decided to look around. They children loved the big fish tank. We then took the blue line trolley and weaved through town to the new Metropolitan Library.

My children and I are regulars downtown. We love to ride the trolleys and play at Myriad Gardens. But in the few months since we've been down there, things have changed dramatically! The new theatre is nearly finished (and looks lovely), there is a purple line trolley and it goes to the Bass Pro Shop. The canal is extended. The new Sonic headquarters is complete. The Metro Transit bus station opened two weeks ago. The library is open. And there are several lots under construction. Amazing!

The library was beautiful. First, we were greeted by the new Rotarian water display (my boss was in charge). The children stuck their heads over a spout to find the water, which promptly hit them in the face. Pretty funny. The children's section has a yellow brick road meandering through. There are lots of computers and a media room in the back where children can watch videos. Yesterday a volunteer was there to watch children while their parents looked around the rest of the library. I don't know if it is a permanent feature, but its a nice one. Of course, my children stayed with me so we could go upstairs and find a flag book. The library is very calming. Its large, but seems smaller than I expected. Its a triumph for our MAPS program and I'm glad it was named after Ron Norick.

1 Comments:

Blogger Babs said...

Hello Jan, I just had to come meet the girl with whom I have so much in common!

My children and I took a field trip to the Myriad Gardens last year to finish our studies on plants. A good time was had by all. We did not take the trolleys it was extremely cold and rainy the day we went. Sounds like we avoided a little confusion.

Last year the grandparents took the kids on the canal ride through Bricktown. I have yet to have this experience. Hopefully one of these days.

It is good to see the improvements downtown and a little more activity in that vicinity.

I'll sign off now so I don't fill up your comments, but I will be back and I look forward to seeing your new 1940's picture!

9:11 PM, August 19, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->