Thursday, February 24, 2005

My First Interview (by Stacy)
Okay, actually my second. The first one was in highschool and it seemed to go well, but once it hit the papers it was all wrong. A good lesson, actually. This time, I'm the publisher, so I should get the answers right, although I'm not making any promises. The questions are a little deeper than I anticipated. Apparently the interviewer was not satisfied with my self-evaluation as a spouter of fluff. Hmph. Oh well, let's get going.

QUESTIONS FOR JAN

1. How did you become a Christian?
I felt God's calling at a very early age. My family attended church sporadically when I was very young, but once we moved to Iowa, they didn't attend so much. When I was in second grade, I got up by myself on Sunday mornings, put on a dress and walked down the block to the small neighborhood Methodist Church. After awhile, my parents' friend started coming by to take me to the Baptist Church with her. It was very nice of her, but I kind of liked my little church best.

When I moved to Enid, I continued attending the Methodist Church. I actually don't remember if my family went with me, but I know they took me. We had a youth minister there named Fletcher Ownbey who was in his early 20s and full of life. He made youth group fun and meaningful, and grew the class from about 12 to about 80 in a year's time. His Bible lessons fascinated me, and I eventually accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1977.

And now for the part most of you don't know. Sit down, please.

I was baptized as an infant, but through my studies of the Bible I came to believe I should be baptized by immersion as an adult. However, my pride kept me from it. Every Sunday I would sit in the pew and think I should go forward. But, I knew people would be suprised and I knew I would be emotional...so I just stayed glued to the pew.

Last year I heard a song written by an Oklahoma City woman called, "I Was Made to Love You." It really touched my heart and I had a vision of Christ reaching for me and me holding back. I decided I couldn't hold back any longer, and I asked James to baptize me by immersion on February 14, 2004. My submission was complete that day.

2. What type of law do you practice and what led you to choose it?
My job is very rare. Only 8 of us do it in the whole United States, and we all sit around the table together each week!! We work on a publication that reports on the judiciary and its tendencies to restrict or expand liability in America. I really can't say much more about it. That's the nature of attorney work, client confidentiality and all that. Sorry. I will tell you, however, that I absolutely love my job and am very well suited for it.

I was studying Hotel and Restaurant Administration in college and was required to take a Business Law class. I loved the class and eventually took every law class offered in college. I knew before I graduated that I wanted to be a business attorney. When I started law school, it was my goal to work as in-house counsel in the food industry. My two employers of choice were Pepsico and Sonic Industries (which is Oklahoma based). I was most interested in doing franchise agreements, and thought my restaurant background would be a good fit for understanding the company's needs.

Well, the general consensus is that you can't work in-house until you've put your time in a law firm, which was distasteful to me. I found my current boss in 1996 and he told me about this project. I was very excited about it all because it focused on the things that first interested me in law. He hired me, and I've been there ever since!

3. If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what song would it be?
Wow. A few years ago I did a small study on the book of Revelation and learned that in Heaven we will serve and worship God. The creatures from Revelation4 are always saying:
"Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." Then in Revelation 5 we see the angels and creatures singing: "Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!" Soon after that lesson we sang Agnus Dei a cappela at our church, and it reminded me of the scene at the throne. For that reason, I would choose this song, sung as our church sang it that day.

Agnus Dei 
Written by Michael W. Smith
c. 1990 O'Ryan Music, INC. (ASCAP)
(Admin. by Opryland Music Group)

G C
Alleluia, Alleluia
G
For our Lord God Almighty reigns
C
Alleluia, Alleluia
G
For our Lord God Almighty reigns
C
Alleluia
G
Holy, Holy
C D
Are You Lord God Almighty
C
Worthy is the Lamb

Worthy is the Lamb
G
You are Holy
C D
Holy are You Lord God Almighty
C
Worthy is the Lamb

Worthy is the Lamb
G
Amen
4. What do you like about living in Oklahoma City?
There are so many things I love about Oklahoma City!! In fact, we could really live anywhere we want, but we choose to live here. (The main reason is our church, which is full of people we love. Not all the people we love attend our church, but a good many of them do.) There is a general happy disposition here that I've found lacking in other places. We have a lot of sunshine, but still have 4 seasons. People wave hello to you as you drive down country roads. Cars pull over and stop while funeral processions pass. People generally take care of each other.

Those are all really Oklahoma things, but Oklahoma City is great because it is a very large metropolitan area, but it feels like a town. There are more things to do here than we have time to do. We have a great new downtown with the Myriad Gardens, the art museum, the new library, Bricktown, a convention center, a sports arena, trolleys, a "riverwalk," and a new theater. We have an asian district and a latino district. The biggest commute would be 30 minutes or so, and that would seem outrageous. We have Lake Hefner in the middle of the city....you get the point.

5. Would you rather live with the Brady Bunch or the Partridge Family?
Okay, the silliest question is actually the hardest. I can't imagine I'd like either one, but I suppose I'd choose the Brady Bunch because (1) they had a maid and (2) they didn't live in a bus.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Bus or not I'd pick the Partridge Family. Why? Two words. David Cassidy. Back in the day the boy was fine.

8:58 PM, February 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->