Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Deception of Self
Last week at Bible Study Fellowship (BSF), the leader talked about the importance of putting God before business. She reminded us that it is easy to become distracted this time of year and put off Bible study and prayer until everything else is finished. She warned against it and I sat in my seat smugly thinking, "I won't do that. . . I don't do that."

Today I will go to BSF having answered zero questions. I feel like Judas. The people at Cafe Sophia must understand. This came via email this morning:

James 1:22 Be doers of the word and not only hearers, thus deceiving yourselves.
Psalms 46:10 Be still; stop all your striving and know who I AM.


No one enjoys being deceived. However if we hear or read or speak words often enough we usually end up thinking we are living them. That is self-deception. The Bible tells us to be doers of the words of God rather than merely hearers or speakers of them. In our minds we can easily agree with the words of God, but our lives are the only testing ground for true agreement. We need to look past our words and ask, "What is my life really saying?" This requires some consideration. It often takes silence.

I believe there are times when we need to fast from the input and output of words. Consider turning off the television, radio, and conversations for a while. Shut down the streams of constant information. Refrain, for a time, from quickly handing out words of wisdom. Be silent before God and ask for insight. "Reveal to me those blind spots of self-deception. Help me to live what I say I believe." It is often that we fear the silence, but it is better to fear an abundance of words. Take some time to be silent and consider the words of your life before the eyes of God.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, and amen. thank you for the tender, but truthful reminder.
barb

4:42 PM, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->