Wednesday, November 23, 2005


We have a neighbor named Ed. He appears at our door periodically with books for our boys or a plate of homemade peanut butter cookies (his specialty). Sometimes he stays for a chat and other times he just leaves the gifts, gives us hugs and heads back home. The books usually come from his wife, but she is never feeling quite well enough to come over with him.

Recently his stays have lasted a bit longer and we've had a chance to get to know him better. Their family (siblings and children) live far away and we have become like surrogate children and grandchildren for them despite our infrequent visits. I'm ashamed to admit, I've tried to keep a bit of distance because of my own fears about getting close and risking heartache. I know they are hoping for a relationship with us, but I've held back.

Last night, however, I was put to the test. While sitting at this very desk, ambulance lights appeared outside my window. I was sure it was Ed's wife, so I went out to the ambulance to comfort Ed. I was wrong.

It was Ed.

Before the ambulance left, I gave his wife my card so she could call me for a ride home. Thankfully, she did call, and I've been blessed to be of service to her these past 24 hours. She has told me repeatedly how wonderful her Eddie is, the kindest man she ever knew. She said she is the luckiest woman because she got Eddie. He is patient, kind, smart and just plain nice. Oh, and he "talks" to the other drivers. (Ha!)

Ed is still in the hospital tonight, but they hope to send him home in the morning. Meanwhile, the article you see on the left arrived in mailboxes around the country today in the Billy Graham magazine.

Please say a prayer for Ed and Lyn.

1 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

I will pray.

They seem like lovely people. I'm glad they have you!

10:16 PM, November 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->