Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
I know this is old news to most of you, but Oklahoma is going up in flames. Mostly, it just seems like beautiful, sunny weather. At least to us city folk. However, the dry conditions and the wind have been a catastrophe for many Oklahomans these past two weeks.

A few city spots caught fire this weekend. I drove by one spot after it had been doused. The fire was big enough it had blanketed most of Edmond in smoke Sunday afternoon. I'm not a fireman, but it was easy to spot the cause by driving by. The blackened spot started near an intersection at the side of the road then fanned out into the field. It had to be a cigarette thrown from a window.

Yesterday morning when we left the house early in the morning we could smell fire in the air. My mother had the same experience 10 miles north of me, so I know it wasn't just a neighborhood fire. Then in the evening, the sky looked like a big, bad bruise. A yellow horizen faded upward into dark purple and then black.

Yesterday I recieved an email written by a friend who lives in the country and is in immediate danger from the fires. I hope you'll join us in our prayer for rain:

"Whether it's because I grew up on a cattle farm where the weather was discussed each day, everyday, or because I love the outdoors, or just because God asks me to, my passion for prayer is rain. I feel God's presence in the rain. He speaks to me. Like the song by Amy Grant, "maybe my eyes can't see, but you are surrounding me, here in the wind and rain, the things that I know so well...I know the voice I know the touch - Lover of my soul."

"Please pray with me, for rain. I need your help. My prayers start out with Psalm 63, "O God you are my God, and I will earnestly seek You. My soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land
where there is no water" because that's how I'm feeling right now. I am spent. After losing [a friend to cancer]this past month, and this dry drought weather, I am weary. I need to see the answer "yes".

"Please end with Psalm 65:9 "You care for the land and water it, you enrich it abundantly...THEY shout for joy and sing" because He will answer in due time. Then we can all say together, (66:5) "Come and see what God has done, how awesome his works in our behalf!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->