Monday, December 05, 2005

Where Did I Put That Article?
It is a small thing, really. The thing is, I didn't get the memo. I don't know when it happened or what committee made the decision. I'm still suprised after all these years (that would be three years).

Just when DID the snack become, simply, "snack"?
And when did "snack" become the plural of, well, "snack"?

No longer does one say, "What did you have for your snack?" but, "What did you have for snack."

"I'm bringing snack today" instead of "I'm bringing the snack" or "I'm bringing snacks."

What did you guys have for snack?
Colin brought snack today.
Oh, what is snack today?
They're having cheese for snack.

So, does anyone else know when this happened? Why did it happen? Is there simply too little time in the day to waste on articles? Is it just the way hip mothers of grade schoolers talk these days?

I refuse to change. I hold fast to my square English usage. I will fight the fight.

The snack will prevail.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've actually never heard anyone use "snack" in the way you describe. Must be running around with the wrong crowd. Myself, I'm actually trying to learn to use "eager to" in place of "anxious to" which is incorrect and, alack and alas, a very bad habit. Slap me if I ever say it in your presence!

10:27 PM, December 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't say we've ever used "snack" as a proper noun, but then again my son managed to escape from preschool several years ago.

Our contribution to American slang is the nounifications of "munch." As in, "What kind of munch do you want today?" We most often use them for the Oscar Meyer lunch packs you can buy at the grocery store. "You want a pizza munch? Ham and Cheese munch? Ooh, look, a munch with chocolate cookies for dessert!"

It's enough to send my English-major wife 'round the bend.

11:07 AM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger rebecca marie said...

i'm on your team... totally. i've heard this, and even found myself saying it. "who's got snack for today's practice?"

it's ridiculous. and bizarre.

11:54 AM, December 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then there is the ever popular 'snackage'.

9:26 PM, December 07, 2005  
Blogger Shane Coffman said...

Sorry - I'm a little late in joining this conversation...

I can shed a little light on the "when":

It's been that way since at least 1994. When I started dating my future wife, she was working at a day care which referred to the mid-afternoon food as "snack".

So, it's been happening for at least 11 years now.

That will make the fight that much harder...

4:39 PM, December 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->