Sunday, July 16, 2006

Random Acts of Rudeness

Last week James volunteered to help at a local duathlon. His job was to stand at an intersection out in the country and stop cars when the racers were coming through the intersection. Having been hit by a car at an intersection during a race two years ago, I'm sure James was taking the job seriously. One lady sat at the intersection briefly before yelling out her window, "You're wasting my time." She then proceeded to drive around James into the path of the cyclists!

Yesterday we attended Colin's triathlon. As the children left the pool and headed to their bicycles, there was a slippery portion of concrete just outside the door. I saw one child go sliding across the walkway and decided to find a mat. As I was placing the mat down, a lady came through the door with a stroller and a young child. I asked her to hold up a moment while I straightened the mat. She proceeded to drive over the mat, even though I was holding the end of it up near my knees! I repeated, "Just one moment while I adjust this," but she stood there on the mat!!! HELLO!!!! So, I put the mat down and said, "Okay, just go ahead then" and she did. Never said a word to me.

Today I went to the grocery. As I was putting my items on the "runway" the lady and man behind me started putting their stuff on there too!! okay. So, I managed to get my stuff on there, although it was actually touching their stuff, and I gave the cashier the payment. I turned to put something in my cart, and when I turned back around, the lady behind me had moved into the little payment area and started unpacking her purse. The cashier and I looked at her, puzzled. Finally, I just stood off to the side and the cashier had to come around to give me my receipt and change.

None of these people added a moment to their lives by their rude behavior. They only contributed to a hostile society. Efficiency is good. Pushy behavior? Not so much.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chilihead2 said...

Oh my word. It is truly unbelievable to me how rude people can be. Don't get me wrong: I definitely have my bad days and woe be to the person in my way. For the most part, though, I try to let it slide and just be happy we have a good life.

Focus on the good stuff, people!

10:26 PM, July 16, 2006  
Blogger Dwayne "the canoe guy" said...

I was working a footrace in Tulsa years ago directing traffic. Sadly I was on the intersection that was just prior to the turnaround point. That meant that a runner would go through the intersection & 3 min later come back through.

Needless to say there was one point when it was nonstop runners, just a solid wall of people. That was also the time that two semi's of cattle showed up. They cussed me for about 15 minutes until a County Mountie showed up and forced them to back up a full mile to take a detour.

Of course, by the time 2 semis backed up, the race was over & the road was clear.

4:28 PM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Jan said...

oh, my! That must have been something! The lady in James' story would have only had to wait one or two minutes. Not to mention, she had no cattle with her.

4:52 PM, July 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Putting on my rude hat, I am compelled to say, "I beg to differ. I think there WAS a cow in her car."

Removing the Chapeau of Rude.

1:46 PM, July 18, 2006  
Blogger cdorsey said...

I lived in Smalltown, America for the first 35 years of my life. People were nice, friendly, simple. We have since moved into thriving city life and WOW...everyday I am shocked by the unfriendliness and downright rudeness of many, many people.

Catherine
http://angelfoodcakeisntacandle.blogspot.com

3:51 PM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I encounter rude people, I pray for them immediately.

Sometimes, it's actually made a difference right away as well.

Either way, the prayer made *me* feel better about their behavior and it didn't hurt them any.

4:40 PM, July 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->