Friday, November 17, 2006

Celebrating 300,000,000 With a Party and Some Cocaine

Tonight was little Ruth's big night. Ruth recently became an American citizen. Very soon after, the government announced America has 300,000,000 citizens. It doesn't take much to figure Ruth must have been number 300,000,000. So, tonight we celebrated with hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad, apple crisp, chocolate cake and Coca Cola. What could be more American than that? We joined Ruth in her first Pledge of Allegiance as an American citizen and the children played as if it was the best party ever.

As a few of us stood in the kitchen watching the Rwandan coffee brewing, Spencer arrived in the kitchen with blood streaming down his face. With a quick scan, I could see that he had a cut that required staples. The other moms surrounded us and helped us make a quick plan for the remainder of the evening, and Spencer and I left for the all-night clinic.

Spencer never cried and he said it didn't really hurt. He was just as calm as he could be, which was astonishing since he often cries when we go to his yearly checkup! The only things that scared him during our visit were the blood pressure cuff and the stapler. Seems reasonable to me.

Before they stapled Spencer, they had me hold a cotton ball on his wound for 15 minutes. It was soaked with cocaine and some other stuff (gin and tonic?). The nurse told me to wear gloves so it wouldn't get in my blood system through my fingers. I thought it was odd since it was going straight into a 6-year-old's blood system through his actual blood system. The nurse assured me that it would not be harmful to him. If he had told me I should be concerned because I would be driving, I may have understood more clearly. His reasoning, however, was that Spencer would not be subject to random blood testing any time soon.

???

While we waited and held the cocaine on Spencer's head, Spencer gave me some big ole sad eyes and said, "Can I get some fish?" It seems he remembered Colin got a treat after his head injury, and Spencer certainly wasn't going to let his opportunity pass him by!

Spencer left the clinic with two bright and shiny staples, a sticker and a lollipop (which he gave to a friend when we returned to the party).

Colin and Spencer compared notes later about who endured the greater hardship and who displayed the superior bravery. I heard Colin confess to having cried when it happened to him. Then he asked if daddy had gotten Spencer a present yet.

I suspect we're going shopping in the morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melessa Gregg said...

I suspect that you are too-and it sounds like it is well-deserved. Ow!

10:56 PM, November 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Bless everyone's hearts. How did it happen?

Angi L.

12:03 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Jan said...

You know, I'm not sure how it happened. According to Spencer he hit the right side of his head on the wall and the left side got cut. Or maybe it just burst open from the impact? I don't know!

9:04 PM, November 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->