Tuesday, March 13, 2007

So, we're about to have kittens. Any day now. The boys are getting pretty excited about it. Next week is Spring break, and Colin has announced he plans to sit in the family room with Aunt Kay 24/7 until the kittens are born. It will be one exciting week.

I've been reading up on Birthing Plans for Kittens because the last time I was in any way involved, I was 8 years old...so there was a good chance I have forgotten Something Very Important. I don't intend to actually involve myself in the delivery, but I am thinking there may be many questions that day and I might want to be prepared.

Some of the questions have already begun.

When Aunt Kay first moved in a few weeks ago, Spencer noticed she had "milk spots" on her tummy. Cute name, don't you think? Little milk spots for her babies. Then last night he asked, "What happens to those, you know, milk pimples after the babies are born?"

Milk pimples?

It is kind of hard to answer a question like that without laughing, but I managed.

Of course, I fumbled the answer when I mentioned that when they started eating cat food they would be old enough to go to their new homes.

Tears ensued.

Wailing and weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Colin hysterically pointed out that he was deeply hurt to find out I was that kind of mommy...the kind that might give away her own children.

"But I would NEVER do that!"

"It is is the same thing, Mommy. You would take away Aunt Kay's children. How do you think she would feel? She loves her children. And it makes me think you would give me away, too."

(Spencer is strangely quiet.)

I explained that cat mommies expect their children to move to homes where they can comfort other people who love cats. Animals are different than people. They aren't sentimental like we are.....

Wailing and weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Spencer: still strangely quiet.

I tried to appeal to the imbalance that would occur if we had more cats than people. The work. The litter boxes. The food. It would be like living on a farm! With Chores!

Colin's reply? "I'm going to live on one of those farms some day. (sniffle, sniffle)"

He is his father's son.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell them you already promised a kitten to me, but you've not promised Colin and Spender to anyone.

10:14 PM, March 14, 2007  
Blogger Robin said...

Awwwww! God bless his little heart. Gotta love a sensitive kid!

Gonna join us for lunch next week? (Clementine and me that is.)

4:33 PM, March 15, 2007  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

I love the perspective here.

You can explain to the boys that cats grow faster than boys do.

Of course, you don't want to use too much math because it would seem that you were giving away the kittens at a very young age. *smile*

However, if you tell them that when a cat is grown up it's the same thing as them leaving for college.

Cats just grow faster than little boys so it seems like they leave home a lot quicker than us.

Of course...

You may not want to talk about leaving home with them because you might start with the tears and gnashing of teeth.

later...

10:13 PM, March 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->