Thursday, October 07, 2004

Flowers
You know how it goes, half the flowers from funerals are sent to a nursing home. Always sounded like a nice idea to me. But now I'm not so sure. My dad has lived in a nursing home for 4 years now. He has lost countless acquaintances to death, many of them in the bed just a few feet away. Death looms in a nursing home. And, just for a reminder, here's a nice coffin arrangement!! Yes, you too, on your way to the cafeteria can view the myriad beautiful arrangements fresh from the grave. Too maudlin for you? I know. That's how I felt walking past them tonight. I was thinking, if they were pulled out of the arrangements and made into fresh arrangements for the dining room tables or TV rooms, maybe it wouldn't be so shocking. I suppose that could be a good ministry for someone who has talent with flowers.

Of course, there was also the giant and ironic urn I passed by the front door. Its the centerpiece to the nursing home's landscape. Never noticed it before, but couldn't help but notice it tonight. What were they thinking?

1 Comments:

Blogger M.Stonecipher said...

I have noticed that. I play my banjo at several local nursing homes or health care centers as they are called here. My wife has worked in several of these places and they are all the same way. I play music there to maybe help lift some spirits of the residents but always leave feeling depressed myself. Some of the folks there never see any family, I always make a point to talk to them. Sometimes its tough, when I go and play and dont see someone I know should be there and then find out they are now gone. I have to make myself go sometimes because of this.

10:44 PM, October 07, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->