Thursday, December 30, 2004

Here She Is: Miss Elanious
I don't feel like blogging much, to tell you the truth. Its hard to think of much to say when there is so much suffering in Asia right now. I've been reading some Asian blogs and when you get back to December 25 and see what they were blogging about before the tsunami, it seems so surreal. Christmas decorations: who cares. Plans for the holidays: who cares. And then I realize how meaningless it all is. Really. Who cares about shoes and cookies and parties and couches and all the stuff we spend our time and money on.

I know, I know. Drama. I'll get over it. Its always been about bread and circuses. The truth has always been that it is all meaningless. Our eyes, our thoughts, our time, our money....it should all be heavenward bound. The tsunami is a reminder of all that. But it is so much more. It is devastation. It is unfathomable horror and sadness. I've seen horror and sadness right here in Oklahoma City, but this..... This.

So, my friend Annie is back in the country and headed toward OKC on a jet plane as I type. I promised to have a new post up before 10:00 so she would have something to read tonight when she ought to be sleeping. I'm sure she was hoping for something better than this! But, you know what, friendship is not meaningless. It is the true gold we have while we're here on Earth. Especially when it is heavenward bound, as this friendship is. Welcome home, Annie. We missed you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jan
I am home...........(first time Ive ever said that when I arrive back from australia!) We got in at 11pm. I watched too much of the tsunami news too. I went to sleep around 4 and have just woken (the phone woke me - It was involuntary) after midday. I have 7 huge bags to unpack.........lotsa chockies! and a few goodies...plenty of breakfast cereal too so come on over.........
Your right about the priorities of life......I was mad at myself about a stupid thing last night and reminded myself that in the scheme of life it was really not worth the time thinking about.
Friendship IS the gold of earth for sure. That is why it is so hard to leave home. BUT also why it was much easier to come back this time. I have a life divided. I have great friends (inc cousins in that group) in sydney - I hate to say goodbye to them. Saying goodbye is the beesting in the garden. Being welcomed back, as we were - posters on the letter box and door, and gifts tied to the door. This makes it feel like home too.

1:09 PM, December 31, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->