Saturday, October 01, 2005

Porcelain Dreams
I was gone all day today going to birthday parties and shopping for plumbing stuff. I finally bought a sink. I really wanted a different one, but I just couldn't stomach the cost. The one I got was $120 less and still pretty good. Unfortunately, plumbing is one of those things I notice and enjoy, so it was difficult for me to make a decision. I imagine regular people just walk in and say, "I need a white one, 20 inches will do." For me, it is a matter of reviewing the appearance of the sink from every angle. What would it look like from the tub? From the toilet? What about when you walk in the room? How does it fill when you draw your fingers around the edge?

As if.

So, I got the sink and the faucet and now I have to get the tub faucets to match (because I didn't know that when I bought the sink faucet and the store I went to today didn't have the matching faucet). I decided on white supply lines instead of chrome. They'll be under the cabinet where lots of people will inspect and say, "Good choice, I would have gone with the white here, too."

I also purchased a new light fixture for the downstairs bathroom. Currently we have the crazy 70s globe lights backed by chrome that light up the neighborhood and look cheap, cheap, cheap. The new fixture is more Pottery Barn style and, I think, better suited to the age of our house (80 and counting).

2 Comments:

Blogger M.Stonecipher said...

You sure do shop different than I do.
I ask myself a few things before I buy something.
1. Can I afford it?
2. Will it work?
3 Will the kids destroy it in 2 days time?
4. How mad will my wife be because this isnt the one she wanted?
5. Can I get it in the car to get it home?
6. Can I install it myself? (Normally yes)

Thats about it.

8:50 AM, October 02, 2005  
Blogger Jan said...

Oh, I ask those things, too.
1. Can I afford it? (Probably not if it is the one I really want).
2. Will it work? (I spend a lot of time on this one).
3 Will the kids destroy it in 2 days time? (That's why I didn't get the shower head with the wand on a rope. Can you imagine the fun water fights they could have with that?)
4. How mad will my wife be because this isnt the one she wanted? (The reason James doesn't go. He doesn't care as long as it works).
5. Can I get it in the car to get it home? (Very important. I ain't payin' no delivery charge).
6. Can I install it myself? (Normally no).

After all that, we get into the asthetics. I simply multiply the process by a factor of 8.

9:09 AM, October 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->